Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i went to the track today, and ran a best of 13.72 @ 100.7, with a 1.96 60'. before my 4.10's and plenum, i ran 13.58 @ 99.8 with a 1.8 60'. this is the second time iv went to the track now and done so bad, last time i didnt know it but i was misfiring lol, bad plug. this time, i found out after 2 runs of 13.8 that my MAF wasn't plugged in...so i plugged it in, launched the same, and isntead of bogging at 4000 rpm's like before, i spun like crazy and went sideways a bit. last run was 13.7, i spun all through first and almost halfway through second. why am i running so much damn slower? i launched at 3500 that last run also after a pretty big burnout. oh also i noticed, my idle when i neutral on the highway was bouncing all up and down from 1000 to 500 then 700 then back up, it was really weird. im pretty sure ignitions all fine now, recently i had to change my MAF and i put in one from another GT, could that cause any problems?

·
Registered
2018 Mustang GT Manual
1,592 Posts
More tire spin. That's my problem. My car will not hook with my crappy Firestones. I can live with my trap MPH, but my e.t. sucks. I'd love to see what it'd run if if could hook.

·
Noob Slayer
2,447 Posts
same thing happened to me yesterday dont feel bad. i ran a 13.82 stock. yesterday went back with 4.10s, diablosport, jlt cai, slp high flow x, lm1s, short throw etc and ran 14.1-14.5 spinning every gear. even got sideways in 4th heading towards the wall. looks like its time for a set of track wheels/tires.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
well...no i don't need tires. i have nitto drag radials.
Well, you need to get everything fixed up and running right for one, for two you need to get used to the way the car feels with the new gears. You said yourself, stuff wasn't running right, and when it sort-of was, you spun through at least 2 gears.

If you can't get it to hook up, sounds like time for some suspension mods.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
well...no i don't need tires. i have nitto drag radials.
Not the best track tire. they hook like crap on the track. If you know anybody with a set of MT Drs on rims that will fit your car i bet if you try those you will gain a lot

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
What air pressure are you running?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
tires are decent, i do pretty huge burnouts in them to get them to stick though. i have springs and rear lower control arms, i guess i could consider subframes idk? and i was running 20, then 18 psi today, before i've tried 15 and 17 though. can anyone answer my question about my MAF or idle? rev, i THINK something might be wrong but i don't know, thats why i brought up the MAF and idle thing cuz idk what else it would be, or if an idle problem could effect performance overall. im pretty used to how it is with the new gears, everywhere except the track it feels so fast and feels great, its just once i start dropping tire pressure and launching hard at the track its weird now, im not sure what to launch at. the way i launched today when i did best was get it to 3500, slip clutch, as soon as clutch was up i had foot to the floor through most of first and in second. with my 3.73's this was fine but im thinking it might not work with 4.10's lol

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
to be honest your car shouldnt have even moved with the maf unhooked. what kind of springs are you running? I had nittos and could not run anything better than a 13.4 and 2.0 60' no matter what i tried. Also if you have lowering springs those are also hurting you.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yes they're lowering springs, konis. i have no idea if they're good or not, all i know is they're bluish and koni lol. my control arms are kenny brown non adj. really? iv been driving a few days with it like this, at times it felt a little shaky and it did feel slightly slower. heres how much different it was...i launched at 4000 and bogged with the MAF unhooked lol. then after i took it out i spun like crazy...maybe i just need to keep practicing with the new gears, be easier on the throttle.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
with out the maf hooked up the computer has no idea how much air is coming in so it will not know how much fuel to give so it wont run hardly at all. next time you go i would take the half hour to swap out the rear springs for your stock ones and remove your front sway bar. I know with nittos you have to get them nice and hot but there is a limit. if you do to much of a burnout the tires will get to hot and also get slippery. if your spinning in 1st and all the way into 2nd then your tires are not decent, they are horrible

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
even launching at 3500 they're bad? i have the sway bar off, i could consider the spring thing. i hold my burnout for probly like 10 or more seconds, until i see white smoke coming for a while then go forward and spin them to the line.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
if your spinning at 3500 hundred try bringing it down some, you could also try not leaving at any rpm, on the last yellow back off the clutch and give it gas like leaving from a stop light ( a little more aggresively of course) and then just nail it when you out a bit. It will take some time getting use to it. You could aslo get some VHT traction additive and have a buddy quickly squirt it on the tires right after a burnout.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
This is more of an autocross based suggestion, but do you have the time to measure tire temps either before or after your run (preferably between your burnout and launch)? Your tires are going to have optimal grip within a certain range, and it sounds to me like you're getting 'em too hot. Taking tire temps would also allow you to dial in your pressure, assuming you took multiple readings across the tread.

If you can't get out of the car after your burn out, it might be worth paying a buddy to go with you and "crew chief" so you can get that data.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
you should have minimal to no tire spin when launching if you have a good set of tires.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts