Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a few weeks of lurking, I decided to finally register for an account here. The final push to register here was that I have a pretty basic (but very important) question for you guys. Before I get to that, I gotta let you know that I am very, very new to cars in general (just got mah 'stang back in early Sept. just in time for college) so please excuse any newbie comments or questions I might pose. Now that the pleasantries are over, here's my question.

My Mustang is in need of a new air filter, partly because this one is old, partly because I'm looking for a small boost in power and partly because I desperately need better mpg. After doing a little research and/or googling im split between two options:
>Getting the American Muscle Cold Air Intake Kit for $75
-or-
>Just buying a performance air filter

The thing is my budget is <$100 so as far as I've seen I can't really get much of a better CAI kit.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
Indybird

·
Registered
7,994 Posts
Personally if your on a budget just get a new filter. I wouldnt buy the AM one, its not that great really, if you want cheap tho then you get what you pay for ya know. Save some money for a good intake.

Oh and welcome

·
MM's Resident Ricer
9,892 Posts
a CAI is a CAI go as cheap as you can really, IDk if ebay has them still but they used to have decent ones for around 30 bucks, if anything get a generic cotton cone filter like a K&N cut take off your air box and attach it to the MAF housing.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
The only Air Intakes that will give you any form of performence upgrade (if you consider it an upgrade) will be the higher end lines such as K&N ect. They cost alot more than $100.

The AM CAI is good for the price. I have one in my car. Will you get a huge performence boost? No. Will you get a huge performence boost with a K&N? No, but better than the AM CAI.

It really comes down to this: Do you want a stock replacement or a aftermarket replacement that looks better and makes the intake sound better as well?

:welcome
To the forums !

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
In all reality you can do what GreenFaleen said or if you want a nice shiny inlet tube just get the AM one. And welcome to MM :yes

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
First, thanks for all the welcomes and quick replies.

a CAI is a CAI go as cheap as you can really, IDk if ebay has them still but they used to have decent ones for around 30 bucks, if anything get a generic cotton cone filter like a K&N cut take off your air box and attach it to the MAF housing.
How exactly would I do this? I might need more detailed instructions :D Thanks.

The only Air Intakes that will give you any form of performence upgrade (if you consider it an upgrade) will be the higher end lines such as K&N ect. They cost alot more than $100.

The AM CAI is good for the price. I have one in my car. Will you get a huge performence boost? No. Will you get a huge performence boost with a K&N? No, but better than the AM CAI.

It really comes down to this: Do you want a stock replacement or a aftermarket replacement that looks better and makes the intake sound better as well?

:welcome
To the forums !
I'm not really too worried about the looks or sound of the air-intake, and I'm also not really expecting huge boosts. I'm more looking for the best performing option for under $100. Either way I do need to get something right now as my filter is pretty old. Does that info help in your recommendation? Also thanks.

-Indybird

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
you could always try cleaning the one you have...its free. Not the best solution, but its a possible fix.

************mildly related note- are TB spacers worth the 70 or 80$ ? will it do squat?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
you could always try cleaning the one you have...its free. Not the best solution, but its a possible fix.
I would clean but I do have the money to spend (albeit not a whole lot), and I was perhaps looking for a slight upgrade from stock parts.

Is Bomz racing pretty decent quality?

Thanks,
Indybird

·
Registered
28 Posts
Nothing that cheap is pretty good quality. It is likely cheap. In 6 months you will probably
have to replace the filter. The option Green said above is probably better.
Buy a K & N filter, unscrew the filter housing, pitch it. Use a hack saw, or a razor knife,
cut the plastic tube in front of where the electric wire comes out. Clamp filter to tube.
K & N filter will probably cost more than EBAY whole set up. Tells you about their quality.

·
Admanistrator
13,320 Posts
vengance, are tb spacers worth the 65$ or are they not even worth a natty light?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Nothing that cheap is pretty good quality. It is likely cheap. In 6 months you will probably
have to replace the filter. The option Green said above is probably better.
Buy a K & N filter, unscrew the filter housing, pitch it. Use a hack saw, or a razor knife,
cut the plastic tube in front of where the electric wire comes out. Clamp filter to tube.
K & N filter will probably cost more than EBAY whole set up. Tells you about their quality.
Alright, I'll probably end up doing that.

Should I use a K & N "Mustang" Filter such as this one, or is there a better filter you recommend?

Thanks,
Indybird

EDIT: I took so long typing this I missed Vengeance's post; by the sounds of that I should perhaps just replace the filter?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey, 6er, he said he was really new to cars and to stangs. After GreenFaleens post he asked for instructions. You are right, in might look like ****.
Indybird, I used that same filter on my '03 for a couple years when I first got it. It worked good while I saved for something better. I swear I could hear a difference when I punched it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey, 6er, he said he was really new to cars and to stangs. After GreenFaleens post he asked for instructions. You are right, in might look like ****.
Indybird, I used that same filter on my '03 for a couple years when I first got it. It worked good while I saved for something better. I swear I could hear a difference when I punched it.
Alright so for now I'm just going to get the K&N Air Filter and install it completely normally.

If I have a quality filter such as this, is it still worth the extra $200 for the whole Cold Air intake?

Thanks again for all the help,
Indybird

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
One site for mustang parts on a budget. Craigslist.com I got some really good deals on my rims, mid pipe, cat back, shifter, tuner, some chrome parts for inside, throttle body, and subframes. Just check around to see what things are going for and make sure to have the money ready to go when you find what you want. Things go fast on CL, well some stuff.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Alright so for now I'm just going to get the K&N Air Filter and install it completely normally.

If I have a quality filter such as this, is it still worth the extra $200 for the whole Cold Air intake?

Thanks again for all the help,
Indybird
You can get a American Muscle cold air intake for $75
The only thing different between a drop in filter and a cai intake is the nice, shiny inlet tube

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Ok, maybe there's a diff. between the s197 and the new edge as far as intakes go, rather, I know there is. That being said, the Ebay or AM CAI's are just as good as the $200 something ones you suggest. They do the same exact thing, DO NOT pay for a brand name with a CAI on a new edge Mustang. Putting a K&N or similar style filter on the stock air box and removing the silencer will help, will be a little louder, but mostly because the filter now is dirty and in need of replacement anyhow. For under $100, get the AM or an intake off of Ebay. The filters they come with will be fine. NEVER spend more than $100 for a CAI.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You can get a American Muscle cold air intake for $75
The only thing different between a drop in filter and a cai intake is the nice, shiny inlet tube
Cool, that's just what I wanted to hear because I honestly don't care if the inlet tube is shiny or not :cool:

Thanks,
Indybird

1 - 20 of 21 Posts