Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A slight issue with my '66 coupe 289 is a small oil leak at the back of the engine. After I shut the engine off, it will drip a small puddle about the size of my hand onto the ground. It does not leak while the engine is running, only for a couple of minutes after I shut the engine off. The back of the heads and intake manifold are dry so it's not leaking up there. The dripping is coming down by the bell housing cover. My first guess was a rear main seal but the fact that it doesn't leak while it's running, only after being shut off, makes me wonder otherwise.

Any guesses?

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very high probability it is the rear main. Whichever one it is, the leak is there the whole time, not just when the car is stopped, but when you are driving it just blows away.
I thought that but there is no oil on the bottom of the car, on the transmission, or anywhere else though that would indicate that. With the car parked, engine running and revving it to get oil pressure up, it doesn't drip any oil at all. About 8-10 seconds after I shut the engine off, the first drips start and gives a steady drip for about 2-3 minutes and then stops. It's a bit odd, haven't seen anything like it before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts