Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the smog pump and the air pump the same thing? I here about getting a shorter belt and bypassing the smog pump, and on my sticker under the hood it says its an air pump, and i just want to make sure they are the same thing. Also what exactly does that pump do???

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ok never mind the first question, does anyone know the part number and brand of the belt that i would need for bypassing the smogpump. from the diagram i saw i need the 84.5" belt.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Autozone belt # 850k6 850mm long 6 rib

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
belt tensioner??

Ok, so i got the new belt and put it on, but i cant figure out how to tighten the belt tensioner?? i thought i would just tighten the bolt back down and it would tighten the belt but i guess i was wrong. is there a certain tool i need or what????

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
Wtf? Did you remove the tensionor? You don't take a bolt off to remove the belt, you just twist the tensioner up

·
Registered
142 Posts
lol i guess you should of ask that question to.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
The tensionor is self tensioning. and I would recommend a Gatorback belt, Part No. 4060835. It's 83.5" and it's what I'm running with my smog pump deleted. The 84.5" squeeled and wasn't tight enough

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what do you mean by self tensioning? I had loosened the nut on the tensioner but i didnt take it off. i had to pry it up to get it loose enought to get the belt up. it is all the way loose now and it wont tighten back up. I got the 84.5" belt.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, im an idiot, i see what you mean. i only needed to pry it up to get the belt off. When i put the new belt on it was too big and didnt tighten at all, i thought i needed to tighten the tension pulley, i just need a smaller belt i guess

·
Registered
142 Posts
what years ur stang?

·
Registered
321 Posts
Is the 83.5 inch the same for Sn95?? I'm still running mine unhooked and I can hear the damn thing ticking

·
Registered
142 Posts
You cant just bypass on SN95

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
its a 90, i got the gatorback belt 83.5" and it works, the other belt was to big and wouldnt even have any tension on it when i put it on.

·
Registered
142 Posts
the one i'm running on my 93 is 84.5'" my bad

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
according to the diagram in one of these forums it says to use the 84.5, and from what i was told that the motors from 95 on down are pretty much the same, so i dont know why it would be different.

·
Registered
142 Posts
is it a 95 motor?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i have a 90 motor the diagram said all fox bodys, and i was told that the engines from 95 on down were pretty much the same. maybe i was ill informed??

·
Registered
142 Posts
Ok on the 94 and 95 you can"t bypass because water pump spins opposite dir just making sure man

·
PSN alphadong11
28,936 Posts
I went against the grain of what everyone else said. I just unbolted the tensioner and drilled a hole for that little nub on the back to fit in. Now I can unbolt it and rotate it if I have to use a belt that is too loose. Works great, no complaints here.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts