Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out today, went to start the car back up on the way home, and it wouldnt crank more than once or twice, so i pulled some stuff off the battery thinking that it was the battery, it started but i noticed that the belts werent moving but the crank was still spining, so i pulled the belt off and drove it down the street to pep boys and got a smaller belt to bypass the smog pump.

why would that pump have froze and can it harm anything?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
delete the EGR system and throw the smog pump in the trash.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
It will hurt emissions and possibly long term, your cats, if you still have them. If you don't have to pass emmisions in your state for inspection then you can ditch it.. as long as you get an o/r mid pipe. The smog pump pumps fresh air into your cats, cooling them, and the oxygen also makes them do their job properly of reducing emmisions. Without the pump, they will eventually fail.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
delete the EGR system and throw the smog pump in the trash.
I cant just remove my smog pump without deleting my EGR

Since when I was gonna just take off the pump here soon and plug the hole or ill wait until I do the intake cause it will be alot easier with the intake out

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Maybe I don't know what I am talking about, but my understanding is the EGR and smog pump are an integral unit as far as I know.

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
I dont know I was always told and thought you could just take off the smog pump and run it as is without removing anything else :dunno

Now im gonna have to look further into it I guess before I take it off

·
2008 Hammock Rodeo Champ
1,227 Posts
so, i should get a whole new exhaust for my car? (it has cats) it needs to be fixed anyway, but i was just planning on getting a catback system. i just looked up the belt configutations for a 5.0 and mine is running the top right configuration. i'm guessing this means i have no p/s. and i was pretty certain it had the smog delete done. (i'm not real knowledgeable with engines ;)) i guess i'm gonna have to get it all replaced from the headers back. :( boo.

·
Registered
149 Posts
you can take the smog off the car but you are supposed to get a off road mid pipe cause the cats will clog up and starting turning cherry red and might cause a fire..take the smog off the bracket. disconnect all lines there is one tht runs all the way back to mid pipe.(i cut it off from underneath pulled rest out of top).there is a 5 prong vaccum source on ther back of ur strut tower pass side. disconnect that.there is also a pipeing which runs between both of the heads in the back towards firewall. i just took the silver fitting off from pass side(one side is threaded and other side goes to rubber hose. i took it off and welded it up to make sure theres not leaks. they also have screws to bolt i back of head to delete this but i had a welder handy went that route either was is fine aslong as there is no leaks).ok now remember that 5 prong vacuum source i was talking about on back of strut tower? yes that one lol. there is a wire that goes to the egr valve go buy a set of vacuum caps and plug that up. there is also a wire on the back of the upper intake going to the 5 prong outlet cap that off on intake. make sure you still connect the spout for the EGR valve so it still works. if you do this you will take out all the SMOG you dun need.to elminate the egr valve you need a block off plate. and a spout that tricks the computer to think it still hooked up so ur check engine light does not come one. or if u tune the car your tuner can turn it off. egr only kick in while cruising not wide open throttle but after years the carbon buildup gets stuck to side of walls in the intake looks bad and stop air to flow properly. that all i did to my car it runs fine sounds great. and even more looks alittle better under the hood. if you do this and still have all acc's you will need a 84.5 belt.hope this helps i tried...mustang FTW!!!

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
TO tell the truth, if you have to pass inspections, keep the cats and still remove your smog pump or just bypass it and leave it. Nothing about not having the smog pump will destroy your cats. Hell mine are destroyed with everything still on. It will not destroy your cats. If you have too, get some high flow cats from magnaflow or borla without the bypass hoses on the side. or gut the ones you have. THen get some MIL eliminators

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
TO tell the truth, if you have to pass inspections, keep the cats and still remove your smog pump or just bypass it and leave it. Nothing about not having the smog pump will destroy your cats. Hell mine are destroyed with everything still on. It will not destroy your cats. If you have too, get some high flow cats from magnaflow or borla without the bypass hoses on the side. or gut the ones you have. THen get some MIL eliminators
And what exactly would you need the MIL eliminators for? You didn't say anything about removing the o2 sensors.. and I don't care what you've heard, removing the smog pump WILL kill your cats, either sooner or later.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
First off I didn't "hear" about anything. I experienced it. I ran cats with a carb'd motor and never "destroyed" my cats as they were cut, then re-welded into another car which passed inspection just fine. Second, who asked about what you care? I don't give two shits about what you care. I explain by experience, not by what others say.

Yeah maybe said the wrong thing about the MIL which I admit, but no need to jump off at someone that's only trying to help. Just because you have a fogged 306 don't make you more knowledgable than the next person so chill

·
Registered
31 Posts
well that got ugly...back on topic. The pump freezes up at times, usually when it is a used one that is left on a shelf for an extended period of time (as in during an engine buildup) and I have no idea why that is but it is very common. I needed to run a completely legal (well, kind of!) emissions set up so I spent all of ~ fourty bucks at NAPA and just replaced the darn thing. I have yet to see any dyno data that supports the parasitic HP loss though, so you might be leaving a little HP on the table but that would be pure conjecture on my part. terribleoneXX88 nailed it as far as there being two seperate systems and what functions they perform. My .02 worth.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts