Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What does a smog pump do? Does it have something to do with supplying air to the exhaust somewhere? If changing to an off-road X pipe, can the smog pump just be taken out and a shorter belt used or does an eliminator pulley need installed? I would really like to get rid of the smog pump and a/c just by taking them out. Is this possible with a shorter belt without buying both eliminator kits?

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
What does a smog pump do? Does it have something to do with supplying air to the exhaust somewhere? If changing to an off-road X pipe, can the smog pump just be taken out and a shorter belt used or does an eliminator pulley need installed? I would really like to get rid of the smog pump and a/c just by taking them out. Is this possible with a shorter belt without buying both eliminator kits?
I took all my smog stuff out and ran a shorter belt. I also welded a bolt into the smog tube in my offroad midpipe so it doesn't leak.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
You don't need to use the frpp ac delete kit if you don't want to.. You can just delete the smog pump and ac all together and route the serpentine belt like so

although this setup is best used for cars that converted to electric fans rather then the stock mechanical fan.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can I route that somehow with the PS pump still intact? It looks like if I left the PS pump in the factory location and used that routing, when the belt goes from the PS pulley to the tensioner, it would hit the water pump pulley.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Can I route that somehow with the PS pump still intact? It looks like if I left the PS pump in the factory location and used that routing, when the belt goes from the PS pulley to the tensioner, it would hit the water pump pulley.
I've seen it done before without it touching so long as you have a stock waterpump pulley or smaller.. The under drive ones are way to large and i'd probably say it would hit with one of them but a buddy with an 89 notch ran his the way your talking about. PS in stock lower location with the tensioner flipped and it was something like 1.5" away from touch or so if I remember right.

So you should be good

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
COOL! I'll make sure I either have or get a stock pulley and hopefully, the clearance is good. I didn't put a string on the two pulleys or anything, just eyeballed, so maybe it's ok as is.

What needs done to remove each of these? Is the a/c as simple as just pulling it off and taking off some of the lines? (I'll be saving in case I want a/c back someday) Is there any other danger in removing a/c except leaking stuff into the atmosphere? The a/c is warm when I turn it on, so I'm not really worried about any pollution in this case.

Can I just remove the smog pump or are there more parts associated with it? Is there a hole or two in the cat pipe that needs plugged? Won't matter once I get an o/r pipe, but until then...

Will removing these throw any trouble codes?

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
What needs done to remove each of these? Is the a/c as simple as just pulling it off and taking off some of the lines? (I'll be saving in case I want a/c back someday) Is there any other danger in removing a/c except leaking stuff into the atmosphere? The a/c is warm when I turn it on, so I'm not really worried about any pollution in this case.

Just unbolt all the ****.. you'll have to unbolt the radiator/fan and move the rad far enough back to pull the ac condenser out but other then that it's easy.

Can I just remove the smog pump or are there more parts associated with it? Is there a hole or two in the cat pipe that needs plugged? Won't matter once I get an o/r pipe, but until then...

Will removing these throw any trouble codes?
Don't remove the smog pump until you get your o/r mid pipe because the smog pump cools the cats on the stock h pipe. When you run the stock catted h pipe without the smog pump it tends to over heat causing it to either clog up rather quickly or catch fire.

So save for the mid pipe first, then bolt that in and unbolt the smog pump and the only hard thing is that there are two pipes that run to the back side of both heads. The hard part is reaching back there and unbolting them then finding a bolt to screw in to each hole that there is now that you've removed the smog tubes. It's simple though just tough to reach back there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts