Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background; the car in question is an 89 GT convertible, auto tranny and mostly original and stock. The deviations from stock; BBK equal length shorties, off-road x pipe and flowmaster cat back system. The x pipe and catback system were done to replace wore out/rusted out components. The headers were done as the result of a sweet deal I ran across. In the process of installing the x pipe I'm running into fit issues with the air injection tube that ties into the factory h pipe. Alignment sucks between the air tube and the x pipe fitting for it.

Two options; modify the air tube to facilitate installation or dump the air pump system. My intent with this car is to keep it as a sunny day reliable attitude adjuster. I don't want to (at least at this time) turn this into a fire breathing monster. I'm more concerned with reliability and driveability. I do have another toy when I'm more interested in destroying expensive tires.

The simple question is; will removing the smog pump system negatively impact the driveability, reliability and fuel economy? Sorry for the newb question but it's been awhile since I've undertaken these types of mods and the first on a fuel injected car. I'm just not familiar with electronically controlled engines and don't want to open a can of worms.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
When i installed my after market mid pipe, i had a gap in between the pipe the comes down from the smog pump to the cats. 2" or 3" because i had to cut the pipe when it was fused to my stock h-pipe. All i did was go to the auto parts store and bought 4" or 5" of black hose, and slipped it over each end and used hose clamps to complete the connection between the two, i had no problems with it and the same piece of pipe was on there for over 10 years. i just cut it off two days ago. Its like heater hose material ( and no it never melted, in case your wondering)

·
Registered
627 Posts
when i got my bbk h pipe it came with like a 6 inch hose with hose clamps just like ryanw did. i had removed the smog pump and it didnt affect any of the drivabilty. the engine just feels like it revs up a little easier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info, I had wondered if a piece of hose might be the simple fix but wasn't sure how it would handle the heat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts