Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed last week that there was a clunking and ticking noise coming from my engine; nearly sh*t myself.

I took the belt off, wiggled some pulleys and found out its my smog pump. Either back pump or pulley.

Either way I have dump exhausts and was thinking about just taking the whole system out and installing a smog pump delete. Taking the system out won't harm anything, right?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If you still have cats they can eventually clog up with out the smog pump pumping fresh air into them. Don't know about sn-95 cars but on a fox all you need is a shorter belt, no need to buy the delete pulley. You may want to double check that before you buy a delete kit.

·
Registered
134 Posts
yea all you have to do is buy a shorter belt, someone on here has a nice diagram on how to re-route it, and with what size you need

·
Registered
254 Posts
You will be just fine with Bullitt's diagram. I have the one without a/c hung up in my garage for when the motor is back in. You will save considerable weight by getting that thing outta there.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah.... forget spending $70 for the delete pulley (160 w/o discount for OEM)

I was thinking about getting the shorter belt but I thought I would need to keep that pulley for some reason.

I don't have cats and the pipes dump off. So pretty much the pump is useless.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Oh snap, I was under the impression that to bypass the smog pump, you'd need an 84.5" belt? Or is that with UD pullies? Ah, another bump in the road...

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
Underdrive pulleys will definitely affect the belt length required to bypass the smog pump so you'll need some trial and error to find the right one.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I got my belt on, it was a 90 1/8" but I currently have the smog pump and everything still on. When I go to remove the pump, what else do I need to remove? Lines, connections, modules, so on.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The clunk I was hearing is either the Harmonic
or crankshaft?

I need to replace the clutch so what could that clunk be?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
I doubt the clutch would make a clunking noise unless it was seriously ****ed up. It is probably the balancer, I would jack the car up and have a look at the balancer to see how it looks.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I doubt the clutch would make a clunking noise unless it was seriously ****ed up. It is probably the balancer, I would jack the car up and have a look at the balancer to see how it looks.
It looks pretty worn out; rusty kind of.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts