Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today on the way home from work i smelled a burning odor coming from my car. i pulled over to notice smoke coming from the wheel well. changed my front pads and rotors saturday. car doesn't seem to be driving differently at all. could it be the brakes? or is it my hub?

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
its not uncommon for fingerprints and dirt to burn off from your dirty hands

·
Registered
502 Posts
i had the same problem, it was a seized caliper piston. If you've got no other leads you could check that.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have that problem everytime I take off from a dead stop, found out it was the rear tires spinning like hell on the pavement!

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Well something like that should go away pretty quickly. If it happens again it's probably something else.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Sounds like a sticking caliper. You can feel the hub center where the bearings are...they should be warm (even very warm) after normal driving, but not so hot that you can't touch it or you get burned. If it gets too hot it can damage the bearings, seals, grease and even melt the plastic center caps on the wheel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
drove it today and no problems besides for a very faint same smell as yesterday. any ways i may be able to check and see if the calipers are sticking?

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Jack it up and spin the tire. It should spin without much effort at all, and not come to an immediate stop when you let go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts