Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MMR 950 5.0 Stroker
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive read that people are using them little $29.99 party smoke machines with a homemade "adapter" to test for exhaust and or vaccume leaks, is there any truth or downsides to this!? I got home from a 3 month job a little more than a week ago and noticed i have an exhaust leak and im positive there is a vac leak because of my idle and i want to check for them without spraying carb cleaner or ether all over the painted intake. I want to solve all the little issues before I start ordering my big go fast parts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ive never heard of this, but im in the same boat as you as far as exhaust and vac leaks, so im very interested to see if there is any truth to this.

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
I read about this as well. I dont see how it could be bad. I figure there may be one smoke solution thats better than the others for your engine. I would run that car right after to clear any left over smoke out too.

·
MMR 950 5.0 Stroker
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dont see how it could be bad either, a few posts mentioned condensation and what not but id imagine that thing would have to be running for a LONG time and then the car not started for some time as well for that to be an issue. Im def not cheap when it comes to my car but for a little smoke test, itd b nice to save a few bucks if it would really work. I dont trust any local shops much so id much rather give it a look over myself to make 100% sure all leaks are dealt with. She idling really shaky and the throttle response has gotten pretty inconsistant as well, all tha sensors are brand new and no CEL so i think theres a leak somewhere. I know i have an exhaust leak, i can hear it when i drive near curbs

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Interested as well,,,,chasing a stumbling idle on an F150 I own.

·
MMR 950 5.0 Stroker
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Theres gota be someone thats tried it id imagine! Im on vacation in AZ til the 27th, when i get home, ima give it a shot and ill share the results, for $30 it cant hurt to try!

·
Registered
869 Posts
A lot of times for exhaust leaks at work I put my hose pinch off pliers on my air hose...then put an air tool fitting on the hose and stick it in the exhaust pipe...use shop rags to make up the difference and masking tape it to hold it...the u can put rags in the other side with tape too if it has duals...and use the hose pinch off pliers to regulate the airflow...u will find exhaust leaks in no time...
I kno it sounds like a lot but its actually really quick and easy...

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Im def not cheap when it comes to my car but for a little smoke test, itd b nice to save a few bucks if it would really work.
The real tester go for around a grand! If it works for $30 the thats a hell of a deal.

You should be able to find the exhaust leak without the smoke though, look for black soot build up at connections or welds.
Assuming the exhaust is large and there for a lil while.

·
MMR 950 5.0 Stroker
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw that the actual ones were insanely priced! Thats what made me google search and found a bunch of people that had said they were able to use a party smoke machine and some minor garage machanic fabbing to test for both exhaust and vaccume lines. I figure what the hell, for $30 why not try it? If it dont work ill donate the thing to goodwill or something. As for the soot, i havnt noticed any but anytime i get under the car, rather it be for an oil change or usually when i wash it, i always clean the undercarriage so soot wouldnt have a chance to build up i dont think

·
Registered
808 Posts
Bought a Smoke Pro smoke machine specifically for this task. They go for $650 and Ive seen completed auctions on ebay for $550 on good condition used units. So I figured I could unload it if I wanted to and not loose much. Yes a party smoke machine will work. A cigar will work. But a real machine works better.
I found vac and exhaust leaks I had no idea I had and could not find otherwise due to the minute size of leak. I can find intercooler leaks, evap leaks and even cabin air leaks if I want to.

You could go to a shop and have them do it, but I dont like everyone knowing what I have under my hood is the main reason I bought one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts