Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Yes. They are basically the same weight (coupes anyway). Hell, even my vert takes turns just as good as my dads 07' if not better.

Here's the way I see it having driven both cars:

2007 gt- Slower turn entry, lots of understeer because of the fact that it is a bigger car. Good power out though due to the extra HP. Great steering response. Little body roll.

1995 gt- Slightly better turn entry, still has understeer but its not as pronounced IMO. Sits a few inches lower so it just seems more solid in turns. Slower exit due to less HP. Steering response is not as quick. Also has significantly more body roll. This may actually be a good thing to an extent. It transfers its weight better so this is probably why it feels better on turn in.

Basically, if you are pushing 300hp, you can easily hang with the 05'-10's.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've read that Ford did a lot with the chassis on the later S197's and they handle much better than the earlier models. Either way, you could always do some mods to hang with them if you really wanted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I got to drive a '05 in Oct of 2004 at Irwindale Speedway during a Ford preview event for Mustang owners - probably invited because I was on some mailing list at Ford.

I thought that the '05 that I drove around the little autoX track handled every bit as good as my slightly modified '94 Cobra (only has griggs springs and Koni single-adjustable sports).

Flash forward to '05 and I buy a '05 GT - it doesn't handle as well as the example car did. I am sure that with slight mods it would be just about equal. The rear of the '05 gets unsettled in ways that the ealier car doesn't - springs and shocks would probably help a lot.

Power wise, a stock '94/'95 Cobra doesn't have as much power as a stock '05 GT. But, a mildly modified '94/'95 does.

SoCal94 ('94 Cobra coupe, '05 GT coupe, and other Mustangs that came before)

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
Just a general question here: can the SN95 Cobras (only question the Cobra because they're supposed to have further suspension modifications.) hang with the bodystyles before the newest ones?
With a few simple, low budget upgrades you can make an SN95 handle better than an S197.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts