Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to be able to get to work EVERY day. im in northern virginia and we only get snow 5-20 times a year; but i HAVE to go no matter what.

so my question is do you think i should keep my old zx2 -- i have driven to work in 5" of snow without problems and can push almost 10" to get to the main road.

when i buy my new wheels (for the 08 gt manual) could i get some snow tires put on the stock rims that could get me similar performance (not willing to go with studed tires- i want to be able to run them for a couple weeks at a time if its snowy).

i used to have a 3.0 ranger 2wd with stock tires and i could get by with that level of performance; lots of spinning but i could still go.

i would much rather sell my old car and just insure/maintain 1. however if i have to call in to work 5 times a year for snow it will more than pay for the costs of keeping a second car.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
dont say that just tell me to sell it lol
lol I would man, but I made that very mistake when I traded my 2000 Focus in on the Stang. I only got 2k for the Focus.

Winter tires & steel wheels were going to cost me around 1600 bucks for the Stang.

I wound up buying an old pos 89 Grand Marquis for the winter for 250 bucks.

I should have kept the Focus. Just as you should keep your old zx2 for the winter.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ya the zx2 has 175k so i doubt it will even be worth 1k, but it is probly 250$ for insurance and at least that or more for maintance; on the plus side it makes it easier when the stang is in the shop for upgrades.

still has anyone gotten snow tires on the stock rims; im going to get new wheels anyway so some crap snow tires should be more than 200 or so for the pair.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
250 bucks a year is pretty cheap to keep the Stang out of the snow and in better shape, IMO. You will pay more than that for a set of decent snows. Crap snow tires will be just that- crap.

So for 250 bucks to insure the zx2, you get to

-avoid the cost and hassle of buying and changing over snows
-keep your Stang out of the snow and have it last longer and be in better shape
-reduce the chance of having your Stang smashed in to in bad weather
-have lower mileage on your Stang and have it be worth more down the road

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
dude keep the second car...i cant even back my car out of the drive way to finish shoveling lmao..how does it snow 5-20 times in VA??? in NJ it snows once....

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So for 250 bucks to insure the zx2, you get to

-avoid the cost and hassle of buying and changing over snows
-keep your Stang out of the snow and have it last longer and be in better shape
-reduce the chance of having your Stang smashed in to in bad weather
-have lower mileage on your Stang and have it be worth more down the road
and best of all i get to drive a 99 zx2 :)

seriously this car is really bad including alot of mods i did in high school (some of which involve pvc pipe :crazy)

i just dont want to dump anything maintenance wise into this p.o.s

Compare Tire Search Results

come on negativity these really wont work?

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Sounds like you don't really want to hear keep the second vehicle, but I'd hold on to it or find a bit more reliable beater if you can. I understand not wanting to load dollars into a second vehicle, but 20 snowfalls will make it worthwhile in my book..

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
dude keep the second car...i cant even back my car out of the drive way to finish shoveling lmao..how does it snow 5-20 times in VA??? in NJ it snows once....
up too; this year i drove in snow 3 times; and thats about the minimum

lol the best part is i drive for a living; and ill be out on the road all day anyway :) ; but if the duals arent enough i always have chains; once those go on there is no stopping me. too bad i cant drive it home on snow days.

·
The UPS guy
3,232 Posts
up too; this year i drove in snow 3 times; and thats about the minimum

lol the best part is i drive for a living; and ill be out on the road all day anyway :) ; but if the duals arent enough i always have chains; once those go on there is no stopping me. too bad i cant drive it home on snow days.
english? :eek:

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
You driver for a living but you want to get rid of a car that is decent in the snow, and keep the car that is horrible :eek:

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Errr, Redfire, how did you get the idea these thigns are horrible in the snow? With just the stock all season PZeroNero, this is easily the better snow car I've owned in about a decade. When I can, I'm going to up to 18" wheels with new tires and store the PZeroNero 17"s for next winter.

CMDR Anomic, If you don't drive the zx2 during the summer, spring and fall, then take the insurance off of it during that time and keep it parked. Just make sure you can remember to readd the vehicle to your policy when it comes time to store the stang.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Why are you not wanting studs? If you are in a state that they are legal then you can run them all winter, even if there is no snow on the ground. Im up here in eastern washington and we get plenty of snow. I personally didnt drive mine too much in the winter, but I did have it on a couple of inches of snow once and if you are gentile with it its fine. I just dont trust all the other people on the road not to slide into me, so I didnt drive mine that much. My buddy had studs on his stang all winter and he did just fine.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Errr, Redfire, how did you get the idea these thigns are horrible in the snow? With just the stock all season PZeroNero, this is easily the better snow car I've owned in about a decade. When I can, I'm going to up to 18" wheels with new tires and store the PZeroNero 17"s for next winter.

CMDR Anomic, If you don't drive the zx2 during the summer, spring and fall, then take the insurance off of it during that time and keep it parked. Just make sure you can remember to readd the vehicle to your policy when it comes time to store the stang.
Odd, I hear a Mustang owner say that every once in a while, that they think their car is great in the snow. Efyl, I am not calling you a liar, as you are the one driving the car, ofc. :)

But in IL you don't get nearly the snow I and some others get. I know because I've been to IL along with 40 other states over the last 20 years. I get far more snow far more often, as do others in different locals.

The 2 or 3 times I've been caught in my GT in the snow, it was a total nightmare to keep moving, steer, and get stopped. The footprint of even the factory tires is too wide, there is not enough weight on the rear tires to dig in, and there is too much power to modulate the throttle properly under hazardous conditions.

To me it's not worth driving a nice car such as our Stangs just for the wear, tear, and salt factor, let alone the danger factor of someone else plowing in to you on a shitty day.

If you have to drive your Stang in the snow because that one car is all you can absolutely afford, I completely understand. I've been there, trust me. But if you can swing a 2nd beater for a few hundred extra bucks a year, I cannot for the life of me see why you would want to drive a Mustang GT in the salt & snow, even if you are happy with it's performance on slippery roads. I bought my beater just before last winter for 250 bucks. I have put approximately 1500 bucks in maintenance in to it in that time. It costs me 400 a year to insure the old girl. So for the two years I have had the old Merc, she's cost me roughly say, 2800 bucks. Or 1400 a year. Or about 110-120 bucks a month.

Utterly worth it to me to keep my baby out of the **** and safer, with less wear, and fewer miles on it as a result.

Again, I'm not blowing that cost off as nothing, and if one can't afford it, as I said, I understand. I have been there. Believe me, I still ain't rich, and there are times when my beater needs a cash infusion to keep it going where I find it difficult to come up with the cash.

But that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make for the car I love. :[email protected] Mustang GT

:lol

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Eagds! Zippee, I was absolutely not speaking to you. I know full well how much snow you get up there. :eek: I used to live in the Rocky Mountains and know that Chicago doesn't get much snow at all comparatively.

I also agree with everyone else here - keeping his zx2 as a beater makes all the sense in the world.

As for what a difference makes on the Mustang - I am currently on the factory 17" wheels and tires. We've had nothing but snow all darn winter long. Hell the day I test drove this thing we got 3" of snow in an hour followed up with a half inch layer of ice (don't laugh at our tiny snow levels, it's all what you're used to). I never lost confidence in the car while test driving it for three or four hours. Did I baby the throttle and drive under the limit? Of course.

If you want to know what bad cars are on stock wheels and tires:
2004 BMW Z4. That thing was an embarrassment in 1" of snow.
2007 Scion Tc: all season tires would spin, lock, and lose grip on anything.

I am not at all kidding when I say the Mustang GT, with stock 17" wheels and all season tires, and traction control, is a really pretty good car on snow. It is not a truck, and I'm not deluding myself on its abilities, but so many people just assume it can't handle in snow because it's a Mustang. I'm guessing most of those people prolly haven't driven it on snow with snow tires and wheels.... If you drive in snow on summer performance tires, and wide 18" wheels - you're going to kick yourself hard - no matter what car you drive or how fancy it's traction/AWD systems are.

For me, the trade off was:
(A) new Mustang and only one car
(B) keep a horribly expensive POS Scion that I had no confidence in
(C) or new car that was not a Mustang.
I like to think I made the right choice, and a beater isn't an option for me until later this year.

·
Administrator
83,767 Posts
Wow I'm surprised the Scion sucked ass in the snow. I thought it would be better than that. Just goes to show you never know until ya drive it. :)

I hear you on the Mustang & one car deal. Believe me, it wasn't that long ago where I could only afford one car. Hell, it wasn't that long ago even the wife was carless because we were so broke. lol

Oh, and might I add how cool it is to debate **** with someone and not have it degenerate in to a useless name calling spree. lol :)

(also nice to see I'm not the only one who enjoys typing up wordy entries) :lol

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
EfylSetaf you sound like ur one of the only ones that has braved the snow in 1. so do u think if i keep the 17s that came on the car and use the stock or even winter tires it would drive similar to a rwd p/u i can handle that; but some of these guys have me convinced that it'l be like rollerblades on ice.

btw i can afford the 1k or so it would cost to keep the zx2 (god i taste vomit whenever i even think of that thing) but i would rather put that $ into the gt.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts