Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, finally got me a Porter Cable 7424XP and all the goodies to go with it. With a TON of help from Zinc02GT I have learned alot already, but still have alot to learn.

At this point I have about 20hrs invested and I am at the point of finally getting the wax on (tomorrow) which will prolly set me at 24-26hrs of investment. However... OMG is it worth it. All the water spots that have plagued my paint are gone. The only swirls are minor and only visable by looking closely with a direct light source.

I did mess up the paint on my spoiler some, but I think I can remedy it. I have been working until about 9pm or until it gets to cold to really do anything. These chemicals don't like the cold either. I also picked up a 1000watt work light to help out... I will be buying another one. That thing is freaking amazing.

Here are some pics...

This was after I polished it with XMT #3 then #1, no glaze, sealant, or wax.

Polished with #4, #3, #2, and #1

Forgot to tape this off... looks cool polished tho.

Before #4, 3, 2, & 1:

After:

Random pics:

Letting the Sealant cure (curred for 7 hours):

Then it got dark, and I got a worklight:

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its so much work correcting 7 years of swirls, water spots, scratchs, ect... Some of its not coming out with a DA Polisher, need a Rotary. However that will be a long ways down the road. Need to learn the DA like the back of my hand before I get a Rotary. Besides, you can only see them when there is a direct source of light on the paint. Can't wait to wax it tomorrow and roll it out in the light.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cough up the money and you bet... I always wondered WTF it cost upwards of $500+ for a complete polish/wax job from a detailer... now I know. Its a LONG and HARD job correcting a neglected finish. I never neglected my paint since I got it in 2007, but I was uninformed on alot of things that I now am informed on.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
im gonna be getting one of those kits soon. where did you get yours from Zat?

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Lets get those worklights right up on the paint though :D

Looks real good man.

To be honest with you, and I don't mean this as something to put you down, but I'm suprised it turned out that good for your first time. I really am. I couldn't get mine to cooperate for awhile. It was just user error. Like weems said, your first couple of details you'll leanr more than the internet can teach you.

Just a quick question. Did you do the test spot before you started any polishing? That's one thing I've learned that will help alot down the road. After claying, tape off a 20"X20" square and test your products. See what combo works best, what polish you can skip, etc. Saves ALOT of time and product.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I kind of used my hood as a test dummy since I am replacing it. I did not even do the entire hood. I decided not to waste the time, product, and energy on something that was gonna be replaced. I did not polish the front bumper. But the paint is very new and seems thin, so I am gonna hit it with number 1 on a white bad and see how it does. If it does not do what I want it to, I will do #3 on an orange pad lightly, then try the #1 on the Blue Pad like you suggested.

Thanks for the compliment on the first go. I learned alot already. You kind of have to just get a feel for how the polishes you are using work, the way the machine works, and a method that works for you.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally got it done today. Just need to do another look over for any wax I missed buffing. That stuff is sneaky!

I am posting the pics I took while still in the process, gonna make a new thread for the freshly detailed pics.

I got some pics of the worklight right up on the paint. In the pics you can't see any swirls or scratches. In person there are a few, but MUCH MUCH less than before. I took the car out around dusk and it was extreamly glossy.

Reactions: Safi

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
detailing is extremely hard work, i love my PC.

I have water spots I haven't been able to get rid of, really more etching than anything else. can't be fixed by buffing, would have to repaint/clear.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya, once its etched into the paint it would be hard to remove. Maybe a rotary could do some good? Might make it better but still not completely remove them.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Rotary in the right hands can remove ALMOST anything. Just takes patience and skill.

Water etching can be removed by rotaries.

That paint looks REALLY good Justin. ....I've got to do mine now. There's still some spots I'm unhappy abour.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.