Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on my way to about ninety in fourth gear at wot when my buddy said he smelt coolant. I thought I might have smelled it as well and sure enough a quick look in the rear view proved us right, a huge cloud of smoke was pluming off of my car. Immediately I shut the car down, pulled over and killed the engine. A hose right up against the passenger firewall (I'm guessing a heater core line) blew apart and sent 3/4 of my coolant all over my engine bay and underneath the car. After examining the overflow tank I got a hunch as to why it blew. There is tons of grime backed up in the tank and the rest of the coolant I dumped out of it came out gritty as hell.

Hopefully my motor is okay since I dried everything up the best I could and killed the motor fast. It was at high rpm for a minute with low coolant I'm sure, but it couldn't have been for more then 3 seconds and the temp gauge was normal the whole time. I'm praying everything is alright and that this will be a simple fix. Though it will have to wait a few days since it's supposed to rain most of this week. Pictures will be up later today since photobucket is down right now. I'm definitely going to flush the system and possibly replace the overflow tank depending on what ya'll think. Anyone have a good method for flushing the system?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Samething happened to me heater hose poped and baught replacementfrom fprd for 50 -_- lol

And i also had to change my timing belt since coolant got on it and caused it to make an annoying loud squek everytime u drove it lol

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope you mean the serpentine belt lol. It got on mine too glad I can predict my next problem lol.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
The temp sensor only senses water temperature, if there is no water then it doesn't sense any temperature.

The worst thing is the coolant smell will linger for a while after being sprayed all over.
I had my engine overheat a few weeks back and it blew coolant all over the engine bay, I cleaned it all up but you can still smell it when the engine gets warmed up. The smell is slowly going away though.

The best way to flush our engines is to buy one of the engine flush kits that installs a T-fitting in the heater hose. Then you attach your water hose to the T-fitting, turn it on and run the engine for about 15-20 minutes with the heater on high.

Always a good idea to replace your coolant annually no matter how many miles you drive.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice on the flush. I'm not looking forward to the smell either but that's a small price to pay if my motor got saved.

Pics

Should I even bother cleaning this nasty thing and putting it back? or just grab a new one?

·
Registered
157 Posts
There are products available to allow you to flush the system yourself, but you should consider taking the radiator to a shop and having it boiled out and flushed, as it is difficult to get the gunk out of the passages otherwise.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks man good to know. you think I should flush everything with the way that overflow tank is lookin?

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
yeah you can flush that **** out,prestone makes a flush kit.or you can take ur overflow tank off and clean it with some dishwasher detergent..to be honest with you ,since you have to replace that hose disconnect it from the heater core and let ir lay down between the fender and valve cover and hook a water hose into the heater coil side and flush it like that.that way your block and all will be clean..i did mine this way and they was alot of **** in it that came out

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah you can flush that **** out,prestone makes a flush kit.or you can take ur overflow tank off and clean it with some dishwasher detergent..to be honest with you ,since you have to replace that hose disconnect it from the heater core and let ir lay down between the fender and valve cover and hook a water hose into the heater coil side and flush it like that.that way your block and all will be clean..i did mine this way and they was alot of **** in it that came out
So the part of the hose going into the firewall just connect a regular garden hose to that? I know there is a debate on whether to use distilled water or not so I'm just wondering. If that will work thats super easy thanks for the tip man. I'm sure I'll figure it out once I get to it but does anyone know how to remove that side of that hose? Looks like you're supposed to press in on that clip with a flathead or something?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also, best way to flush the rest of the sluid before flushing? Radiatior drain plug?

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
The temp sensor only senses water temperature, if there is no water then it doesn't sense any temperature.
what?

it will read the temp of the steam and or air that is around the tip of the coolant temp sensor.

it doesnt matter what is around it. If its air, it will read that temp, if its water, it reads that.

Take a lighter to a temp sensor thats hooked up, see what happens

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
So the part of the hose going into the firewall just connect a regular garden hose to that? I know there is a debate on whether to use distilled water or not so I'm just wondering. If that will work thats super easy thanks for the tip man. I'm sure I'll figure it out once I get to it but does anyone know how to remove that side of that hose? Looks like you're supposed to press in on that clip with a flathead or something?
yeah you want to push the water threw the heater coil and let it drain on the hose coming out of the intake threw the busted one.let it cycle for about 15 mins, or you can go to autozone or advance and get one of there flush kits,since your hose is busted you wont have to worry about splicing a hose .and cycle it that way

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Damn man, I feel bad for you, you have some dumb stupid problems sometimes with that car. My way of having sympathy for you is some reps :D

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Damn man, I feel bad for you, you have some dumb stupid problems sometimes with that car. My way of having sympathy for you is some reps :D
Tell me about it, this is what happens when you buy a car that ends up needing a new everything in the first 2 years you have it I guess. Never ever will I fall for the sold "as is" bullshit again. Like I said it made a hell of a mess and the environment hates me now but hopefully this is just a minor set back. A new hose, a good flush, and maybe a new Tstat just for the hell of it and I hope she'll be ready to go...until it's time for the 4th clutch :sorry

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Maybe that bitch wants to be abused? Throw that Vortech on her and see how she likes it.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL Now the reps come your way sir. I really want to get that thing on but money is damn tight right now and I'm torn between supercharging a car that needs ball joints, an alignment, new tires, and a clutch..not to mention this coolant bullshit or just fixing all major issues now and waiting until the end of this summer to do the blower. I really don't want to wait since I've had most of the major pieces for over a year now but I think it would be smarter to start throwing boost at it when the air is a little cooler.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hopefully this new job opprotunity I came across works out for me and I can get everything done soon but we'll see. I wish I could just rip the damn weight ring off of my DF and run it like that for a while to see if that's the issue. If that wouldn't **** the clutch up and that's what was defective because I have a hunch that it is it would save me $400. Only time will tell I guess.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So everyones for just flushing it with a hose? Triple checking for the sake of my car lol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts