Modded Mustang Forums banner

So... installed the HIDs again, issue

668 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  slikirish 
#1 ·
I reinstalled my HID kit from AM. I was surprised it worked since it has been sitting on a shelf and moved all over the place without care for awhile. I never planned to use it again. However I reinstalled it and it works except for the switching to High/Low.

One bulb switches fine, the other does not. Sometimes one will switch from Low to High while the other goes to the oppisite. One bulb will be High, one will be Low. I am guessing this is a problem with the Dual Beam Harness that controls the ballast which control the bulbs?

I plan to switch the bulbs tomorrow and see if the main bulb not switching fast (passenger switchs everytime, driver sometimes does not) does the same thing on the oppisite ballast.

Any input would be great. I really hope its the Harness since its only $30. The bulb and Ballast replacements are pricey.

#2 ·
Do you have one of the plugs in bassakwards on the one side maybe?

#5 ·
there could have been a fault from the manufacturer with the wiring. Trust me it happens! Car audio harness for example (VW/Mercedes) have the wiring wrong where you had to switch around the wires for constant and ignition, so constant was ignition and then ignition was constant.

Im not saying that this is what it is but it really sounds like it is. If you want to you can turn on your lights (low beam) and then the headlight that has switched to high beam cut that wire and swap it with the other wire so that the high goes to low and the low goes to high from the harness on the HID's. See what im saying?

#6 ·
I will double check all the connections to the bulbs, however since the connections have the clips plus the shape of the connections allow only one way, I doubt it. Keep in mind, this kit has not done this from day one. It is a problem it developed. Therefore if some wires were manufactured wrong it would of shown up from the get go.

I think I may just buy a new harness anyways since its only $28 after our discount. Not like I will lose anything from it.

#8 · (Edited)
I did, however I already put everything back together :(

The only visable clue there are HIDs is the Harness and the single socket connector. If I replace the harness I should be able to (or I hope) wire it in without removing my bumper again. Removing it is not hard, just a PITA because its pickey about lining up.

I have both slim ballast under the headlight turn signal sections, the Harness is right above the battery, the wires run from the harness to the driver side ballast and to the bulb (hidden) and the passenger side wires run from the harness into the opening for the driver headlight then over to the passenger side via a metal line in front of the radiator (zip tied). The wires then go under the light to the ballast then up to the bulb from under the light.

It really looks alot better all hidden, much cleaner.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.