Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I remember a couple months ago I did a compression test on my car and all of my cylinders were at 150-160psi. Now, that seemed a little high to me for a car with more than 150k miles on it. I've always ran 87 octane in my car and it's always felt like it was lacking some power, even with the 4.10's. And it used to backfire through the intake but it hasn't since I did a tune up. But it always would backfire when I would shift from 2nd to 3rd on WOT runs. I know I need to check my timing, but last week I decided to run 91 in my car and it doesn't backfire at all now on WOT runs and the exhaust smells "cleaner" if that makes sense. But back to the compression... I've been reading up on compression ratio's. And at roughly just over 1000ft sea level atmospheric pressure would be about 14.2psi. So my compression of 155psi divided by the atmospheric pressure would come out to a ratio of 10.915 rounded to 10.92 or 10.9:1. Does that sound about right? Stock ratio is 9.5:1 correct? This comes from a theoretical thermodynamic equation. Psi readings from a compression gauge are related to compression ratio so this has to be fairly close.

So, with all that, does my gas issue sound like it solves my problem because I have raised compression? Maybe its not a timing issue at all?

What do you guys usually get in psi a stock engine using the compression tester? What do you guys get in psi that know your compression ratio?

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
Your issue is you dont know enough and are trying to figure out **** by throwing random numbers around....
now on WOT runs and the exhaust smells "cleaner" if that makes sense
Are you hanging off of the back of the bumper with your nose in the exhaust pipe while a buddy hits it WOT ????????????????????
So, I've been thinking...
You should do this less often

I know I need to check my timing
Get off your lazy ricer ass and get a Timing light...if you dont own one do not drive a 5.0

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
YOu cannot use the compression testing numbers to calculate a compression ratio...

my engine, has 11.5:1 compression and a nitrous cam in it with nitrous rings... what does my engine that has maybe 50-60 passes on it(brand new as of two months ago) read? well it read 140-145 about a month ago... and i can tell you that the motor is strong and the rings are nice in there...

Overlap of the cam causes alot of issues...

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
decent gas does wonders

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your issue is you dont know enough and are trying to figure out **** by throwing random numbers around....

Are you hanging off of the back of the bumper with your nose in the exhaust pipe while a buddy hits it WOT ????????????????????
I just thought it would be related in a way and was asking a question.

I have dumps and it's really loud and is accompanied by a big cloud of black smoke in my rear-view mirror

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
you need to check your timing, if its advanced and your running 87 then that could be your problem.....that you need to be running 92-93

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you need to check your timing, if its advanced and your running 87 then that could be your problem.....that you need to be running 92-93
Yeah I know. I just dont have any money to do that right now. My checks are being AR'd from the cost of my oil pump and everything I had done so they're almost being cut in half...

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
cant check compression like that dude, you have to fill the cylinder with water then put a compression tester gauge in the spark plug hole and test it

·
Registered
496 Posts

Get off your lazy ricer ass and get a Timing light...if you dont own one do not drive a 5.0

:lmao

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

:lmao
ricer ass? so, with your logic, everyone who owns and daily drives a 5.0 like me and doesn't have enough money to buy a timing light is a ricer? I must be a ricer then. I have other expenses to worry about first. I asked a simple question and everyone decided to be an e-thug. cool guys.

·
Banned
464 Posts
you have other expenses to worry about first instead of a 40 dollar timing light from sears that will help diagnose a problem with your motor? well when you blow your motor up again don't come whining to us.

until then, enjoy the problems and have fun stabbing in the dark.

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you have other expenses to worry about first instead of a 40 dollar timing light from sears that will help diagnose a problem with your motor? well when you blow your motor up again don't come whining to us.

until then, enjoy the problems and have fun stabbing in the dark.
Yes. Im still paying off the $600 bill for the oil pump. with that, my checks have been $280 so this month I mad a whole $560. minus ~$200 for gas a month, $75 phone bill, $150 for insurance, maybe like $100 a month on cigs. And I have to pay a $66 ticket for no seatbelt and give my mom $50 for the electricity bill. My next check should be normal $550 then I can get one.

And my car runs fine now with the 91 so im pretty sure my timing is advanced. i mean, why else would it run better on higher octane gas right? and i didn't blow my motor up so there wouldn't be an "again". My engine has over 150k on it and that was the original oil pump and shaft.

·
Banned
3,014 Posts
I broke mine a couple weeks ago, but am going to get another off of ebay when I need it....where does that put me?
Puts you in the same place I am in....Just broke mine....advanced knob broke off.....

Not going to buy a new one..... I am lightining quick with a flash light and I will strip the 1 plug wire and grab it with my hand

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Puts you in the same place I am in....Just broke mine....advanced knob broke off.....

Not going to buy a new one..... I am lightining quick with a flash light and I will strip the 1 plug wire and grab it with my hand
you are cracking me up today hahahahhaa

1 - 20 of 29 Posts