Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the other day it was raining. Had to slam on my brakes. If my antilocks didn't kick on (couldn't hear it, newer cars may have quieter solonoids, IDK), they were awfully close. Well the brake light came on when I was heavy on the brake pedal then when i stopped went off. Well this morning on my way to work, under normal braking it came on again. After 2 minutes of normal driving it went off..never came back on even when I stopped after the fact. So this arrises my question, WTF? Ddin't have time to check the brake fluid level, I'm hoping this is it. I'm not so sure....I don't want a costly brake job as I need to get my serpentine belt replaced...and not that the belt is a super expensive fix, that would be insult to injury.

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
sadly, gotta pay to play....

the belt shouldn't run u more then 50 bux if you do it yourself...

and as long as your not replacing brake lines I don't see where your getting a "costly break job"

your driving a frigin 20 thousand dollar car dude. having to drop 3-400 in basic maintance should be on the bottom of your worry list

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
cheap and easy man..... as long as you didn't damage the lines....

Reactions: Breakout

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
never. Bought the car with 15k on the odometer. Had my oil changed less then 1k miles ago and the tech said pads are fine. They squeak when cold, but that's because they're probably semi metallic. Pads wouldn't cause my brake light to go on, though.

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
well... if you are low on fluid... guess what.... typically it means it needs new pads...when pads wear down some, they allow more room in for the fluid... So it could be that you just need new pads.... 150 bucks and you could have a nice set on there..

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
good call....but like i said the tech said they looked good...so i'm gonna have to go fish. Haven't had time to check the level...I'm at work. Just seeing what it might be if the level isn't low.

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
alright...so I checked by brake fluid level. And it's a little low, but by no means under the "minimum" line. So this isn't good. And the light isn't on constantly. It usually takes about 10 minutes of driving for it to kick on. I'm going to top it off, hoping the light wont' come back on. But I'm thinking it's probably the ABS control sensor

·
Premium Member
14,288 Posts
well... if you are low on fluid... guess what.... typically it means it needs new pads...when pads wear down some, they allow more room in for the fluid... So it could be that you just need new pads.... 150 bucks and you could have a nice set on there..
I have never, ever, once in my driving career, ever had the brake light come on in any of the 15 cars i've driven because the pads needed changing....

·
Registered
8 Posts
As the pads wear the fluid level drops so it is possible.

OP, The light comes on only when braking?
Where is the sensor located for fluid level in the master cylinder?

Possible fluid is low enough that when braking is sloshes to the front of the tank and uncovers the sensor.

·
Tree Fiddy Z
2,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it happened while braking...but would stay on for 10 minutes under normal driving. but now it's not happening. not coming on aymore. weird....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts