Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as you may know I recently picked up a 99 mustang gt that was running like absolute dogshit.

When I was stuck in the rice cooker I had multiple 300whp+ turbo'd cars so naturally I figured my mustang wouldn't be able to satisfy me like my imports did.

When I picked up the stang it had 3 bad cops (1 that wasn't working at all), a bad EVR and an exhaust leak(I immediately installed a stok hpipe for smog).
I replaced all the cops and plugs, EVR and now I'm running my bassani X pipe. I also did the DIY gas pedal mod and the IAC restrictor mod. I'm also running 3.90's. And well I have to say that even though my estimated 280ish (correct me if I'm wrong) rwhp is a far cry from the 334rwhp I was running in my 240 my stang is absolutely more of a kick In the pants to drive. With the gears and torque it feels as if I would have gotten my 240 by atleast a fender from 0-80. I know I had alot of lag and taller gearing in my 240 but damn. The stang just feels like a beast!

Mods:
3.90's
CAI
Bassani catted X-pipe
flowmaster 40's
subframe connectors
eibachs
IAC mod
Gas pedal mod

I can't wait for new wheels&tires and a tune!! I'm almost scared! My imports were so well mannered and sophisticated while my mustang feels like a wild ****ing monster! BTW V8 with header back exhaust sound FTMFW!!! Sounds soooo much better than the best imports!!

And for those of you that would say "what about the 350z?" my friends V6 stang with header back exhaust sounds almost exactly like one!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Welcome to the dark side! :drink

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Yeah I let a guy who was big into foreign cars drive my car and he said the v8 was nice as it just felt like raw power. I thought it was funny to watch him drive my car, after a while he was very into it and I wouldn't be surprised if he has one now. Welcome to the site, welcome to the v8 side.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
240-250 to the whels...feels nice doesn't it? I can't wait to get my gears done...i've only had them for almost 2 years. haha

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Just wait until you get some of that cash monies into suspension. Then it will really feel like its supposed to feel like. You could have close to 280 at the flywheel but I don't think you're quite there yet.

·
Too Soon, Junior!
3,830 Posts
haha I had the same reaction when I came over from imports. I'd guess you have 240~250 rwhp right now but once you stray over 300 it will be a beast to drive :)

·
April 2012 ROTM
4,739 Posts
torque below 6k rpm is nice huh? lol welcome to the party....throw a twin screw on it...you'll see in the neighborhood of 400 ft/lbs at 2000+ rpm...post up some pics broski! :D

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well it ****in feels like 280 damn it! Lol! I can't imagine 240ish rwhp feeling like this. I guess 240rwhp and 36lbft in a 4banger is alot different than 240 and 200+! Lol.

Can anyone tell me what kind of numbers I should be looking at in the 1/4? I don't mean like "what will my car run?" I mean what kind of numbers should I be shooting for? What's a good 60ft with cheaper 305/45's? I'm a decent launch but with all this lowend I'm sure I'll be a noob again.

Anyways I will be taking her to the track before too long.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
One thing you have to look at is where in the rpm range you're seeing your power and torque, you can't just compare peak hp to peak hp and expect that to be an effective comparison.

Even just the peak hp:peak tq numbers can be telling - Mustangs make a LOT more tq per hp than a Honda does! And other than an N/A 4v, they make it a lot lower in the power band. Just look at a stock 5.0 - it's "only" 225hp, but it's close to 300 ft-lbs of torque, and that torque is at something like 2500 rpm. That means NO waiting for power.

Now don't get me wrong, I like both, and it takes a LOT to make a pre-'05 Mustang handle worth a damn. I usually have both a Mustang and a rwd import of some sort in the driveway as they both fulfill different needs/wants. My most favoritest car to drive around town was my AE86, but I would NEVER consider driving it to LA and back like I just did in the Cobra.

Enjoy your car, man :)

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ya a well tuned hachi is fun to drive. Especially wide open sideways around a turn! I don't know though with these shitty wheels and tires my stang almost drifts itself. I had some fun in an empty parking lot last night and the stang is so much easier to get sideways just a little harder to control. I kept losing it from 2nd to 3rd but low speed 2nd gear only I was connecting 5+ drifts with little to no effort. It's nice to not need to ebrake or clutch a drift!! Does anyone else drift these things? It's sooooo ****in easy. I'll have to take some video or something cause I had a much easier time keeping my lines. Especially with the DIY gas pedal mod!

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I don't know though with these shitty wheels and tires my stang almost drifts itself.
Blame that on REALLY, REALLY crappy rear suspension design. Absolutely atrocious, hahaha. The lateral location of the rear axle is really sloppy, so as you kick back and forth it moves about 2" left-right relative to the chassis.

Most of the drift Mustangs I see are either S197s like what Von Gittin Jr or Tony B. drives (which have a redesigned rear suspension from the '04 and earlier cars), or they have full Griggs Racing GR40 setups (What's-his-name in Pro Am... Pena, I think).

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
The torque is rpetty awesome. Just wait till you race someone and don't bother to down shift cause you feel lazy. So nice to beat on the honda's and other imports with torque.

As far as handling, a bout $1000 into your current suspension and your car will hang with your old 240 easy. A little more and it will own your 240. The only thing the 240 has in the end is weight, and its easy to overcome that when your car will hit 130 mph in 4th.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
um excuse me but a stock GT has 260rwhp idc wat all this **** is about 'to the wheels' power. 260 horsepower is 260 horsepower my friends. the end.

i kno a guy who drives a Prelude and he thinks its the **** but after he drove my car he doesnt talk much about his little rice burner :cool:

1 - 20 of 173 Posts