Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I Blumpkin Entirely Way Too Much
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy and I went out Sunday with all my new guns and started sighting them in.. to my style of shooting. We were at the base of a hill (hill was the back stop) and we were shooting from a variety of distances. with our .22 we were only shooting from about 20 yards.

With my new 9mm i was shooting at 20 yards and grouping with in 1" diameter.

With my AR15 i was only shooting at 50 yards, but i was grouping with in the diameter of a quarter. It was super hard even seeing the quarter at 50 yards so i was having to kind of assume where it was at and shoot.

Im going to get to where i am shooting alot, ever weekend. Didnt know what you guys used as targets? i know we use to shoot iron targets but i find it a little funner to actual objects?

Also, what kinda of distance do most of you guys shoot your AR15's at?

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
AR-15's are phenomenal for accuracy. Wish I had one. In the mean time I'm just stuck with a Mauser M-48 (basically a Mauser K98, but chambered in 8mm.) I like it at longer range, 100-200m.

And oddly enough, one of my favorite .22lr targets is an old (empty) propane tank. It has a distinctive ring when you hit it.
High velocity rifle rounds (.223, 8x57mm) will sail right through them though.

But for stuff to shoot at, you can get tons of breakable crap at places like Amvets or Goodwill for a couple dollars. Dishes, glasses, robot dogs, you name it.

Of course my preferred target for the M48 is coyotes...

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
My buddy and I went out Sunday with all my new guns and started sighting them in.. to my style of shooting. We were at the base of a hill (hill was the back stop) and we were shooting from a variety of distances. with our .22 we were only shooting from about 20 yards.

With my new 9mm i was shooting at 20 yards and grouping with in 1" diameter.

With my AR15 i was only shooting at 50 yards, but i was grouping with in the diameter of a quarter. It was super hard even seeing the quarter at 50 yards so i was having to kind of assume where it was at and shoot.

Im going to get to where i am shooting alot, ever weekend. Didnt know what you guys used as targets? i know we use to shoot iron targets but i find it a little funner to actual objects?

Also, what kinda of distance do most of you guys shoot your AR15's at?
I don't shoot AR15's, but I do shoot my Remington 700 in .308 and just purchased a Springfield XD .45 Tactical that I plan to shoot religiously. Both of these I shoot at paper targets. I shoot Palma 15 Circle Targets at 100 yards with the R700 and I shoot a B8 sized 8-9-10-X ringed target that I made for qualifying with the XD at work. I shoot the XD at 7 yards for qualifying, and when it's just me I like to go out to 25 yards to test my accuracy at longer ranges. XD shoots pretty nicely at 25 yards using cheapo PMC 230 grain FMJ loads.

If I shot at other targets, it would probably be steel gongs at 600 yards with the 700 (If I ever get that comfortable shooting long range!) and silhouettes with the pistol, but it's cheaper to print up the B8 style targets than it is to print up silhouettes as I only have a standard printer :D Clay Pigeons set on a target backer or on the side of the hill can be fun too. Set em up on a target backer with nothing supporting them and they SHOULD shatter when hit with anything significant.

·
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
AR-15's are phenomenal for accuracy. Wish I had one. In the mean time I'm just stuck with a Mauser M-48 (basically a Mauser K98, but chambered in 8mm.) I like it at longer range, 100-200m.

And oddly enough, one of my favorite .22lr targets is an old (empty) propane tank. It has a distinctive ring when you hit it.
High velocity rifle rounds (.223, 8x57mm) will sail right through them though.

But for stuff to shoot at, you can get tons of breakable crap at places like Amvets or Goodwill for a couple dollars. Dishes, glasses, robot dogs, you name it.

Of course my preferred target for the M48 is coyotes...
For some reason, i hadnt even thought about old dishes yesterday when we went out. I have used the old propane tanks tho. And rotten produce is always fun.

·
Registered
303 Posts
over here we shoot...

And to answer your next question, Yes we do :) .... and it tastes like chicken :D

·
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The clay pigeon idea sounds like a good one! Im going to look at building a holder for clay pigeons that i can prop up against the barb wire fence.

·
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im not really digging the idea of shooting paper. haha, i wanna shoot something and do some damage. idk, just something about shooting a cardboard target doesnt thrill me.

Maybe thats just me tho.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Im not really digging the idea of shooting paper. haha, i wanna shoot something and do some damage. idk, just something about shooting a cardboard target doesnt thrill me.

Maybe thats just me tho.
The goal is not to shoot and see destruction, the goal is to see how precise you can make that destruction. Shooting at targets is about groups, is about effectiveness of your shooting technique and modifying it to shoot better. I understand it isn't 100% fun all the time, but it has it's distinct advantages. You can say "Man look at that group, it's REALLY tight!" and be proud. Reactive targets are fun, but hitting a reactive target and making a mess or watching it spin, only gets so fun. Most reactive targets are fairly large.

·
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I completely understand where your coming from on that actually... makes more sense when you put it that way... perhaps i will look at paper targets instead haha.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts

Maybe thats just me tho.
Start out with pesterous children and then you can work you way up to midgets. They are about the same size but the midgets are more cunning.

·
6,802 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now i've read several threads on here about how guys keep their 30 round mags full of ammo. Doesnt that hurt them? having the springs always compressed? Because i've been kind of wondering, i've got 5 30 round mags for the AR and i've got 2 17 round mags for the 9mm. Wasnt sure if i should keep them loaded (prefer) or if i should unload them in between range trips (once a week-ish)

·
Made in U.S.A.
22,435 Posts
No... Springs do not wear out from being compressed within their means. Springs wear out from cycling. I keep all of my magazines fully loaded..

1 - 20 of 24 Posts