Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what is the deal with the windstar intake? i been hearing alot about them lately and where can i buy the from>?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Here is a link to a pre-made kit that will save u alot of time and hassle and alos any info u might need on it is all explained on his page ie: how it works and why, there is also instructions right on the page aswell ^^

VAP Auto - Windstar Kit

·
Registered
164 Posts
Windstar intake is the intake from a Ford Windstar (ya the minivan lol). It provides way more improvements than say a CAI and looks mean under the hood.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Does that mean I could just pull the intake from a Windstar out of a scrapyard and it's the exact same that's offered in that kit?

·
Registered
83 Posts
yes , and no more no then yes .... the intake YES is the same, but it is modified also u need all those other items he has in the kit ( unless u can fab them all urself ) in order for the intake to function.

·
Registered
164 Posts
yes , and no more no then yes .... the intake YES is the same, but it is modified also u need all those other items he has in the kit ( unless u can fab them all urself ) in order for the intake to function.
what this dude said. Ive heard the cheapest and most efficient way is to get the intake part from the scrap yard and then get all the little pieces you need from VAP.

·
Registered
164 Posts
O and the windstar intake doesnt fit under stock hood.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Does that mean I could just pull the intake from a Windstar out of a scrapyard and it's the exact same that's offered in that kit?
It has to be from a 96-98 3.8. And it will need some work unless you happen to have a cowl hood on hand.

O and the windstar intake doesnt fit under stock hood.
Depends on if the IAC is relocated or not. Unmodified, the IAC sits on top of the Windstar intake but when you buy the kit from VAP the IAC holes will be filled and there will be a bracket and some vacuum lines to relocate the IAC. And once the IAC is relocated, the only thing that will hit the hood is the throttle body which can be remedied with an angled throttle body spacer (VAP sells them).

·
MOAR BOOST
9,163 Posts
Mine clears the stock hood, although the elbow coming off the throttle body is rubbing a bit. Might take my hoodliner off.

I got mine on yesterday, ran into a bunch of problems.

·
Registered
730 Posts
It has to be from a 96-98 3.8. And it will need some work unless you happen to have a cowl hood on hand.

Depends on if the IAC is relocated or not. Unmodified, the IAC sits on top of the Windstar intake but when you buy the kit from VAP the IAC holes will be filled and there will be a bracket and some vacuum lines to relocate the IAC. And once the IAC is relocated, the only thing that will hit the hood is the throttle body which can be remedied with an angled throttle body spacer (VAP sells them).
doesnt the TB spacer also give small improvements?

·
Registered
83 Posts
If it gives any improvement i think it would be slim to none i think the spacer is only rly just to angle the TB and nothing more.

·
Registered
83 Posts
also @ mustanglax12 i think the windstar intake has to be shaved and modified in order to fit our car ( most modifiying would be due to clearance issues ) but if im not mistake i think mounting points for other items are relocated as well so not just as easy as pulling one for a scarpheap and throwing on... other perks of buying the kit is that u can get the angle piece and the 65mm TB which inst a whole lot but every little bit counts ^^

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
I'll be getting the kit from Vap one day, soon i hope. They have been around along time now and have ran into the problems a normal person does when putting the windstar intake on and they have perfected their kit.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yea i to hope to order the kit for my car ... other then the performance gains I just love the way it looks ^^

·
Registered
461 Posts
Hell I made the mistake of buying the upper intake from the scrap yard, and lets just say its not in very good shape. Took 6 hours to clean it. A day and half to mill down the IAC location, still trying to find something to plug the hole with. I'm still trying to locate the 3.8l split port induction sticker what I ruined when I cleaned my intake. Waiting on advanced to find me some of those funky gaskets that fit into the runners on the windstar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts