Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I found this in the context of a 2.3l mustang when I searched but not a 5.0. It turns out the stock motor mounts on my car are sagging quite a lot, and one of the mechanics working on my car who owns 2 fox bodies recommends I switch them out. He has several sets he can sell me, and that solid mounts would be $40. Should I go with solid mounts for a street car? How much does it make a difference in power and transmission performance? Is it completely unbearable for road use or just mildly uncomfortable sometimes? I understand it makes the car rattle a lot. My car already creaks and stuff....is this a good idea? Also, I have heard about semi-solid mounts for other street cars but I can't seem to find them for a 5.0 does anyone know of some? Thanks!

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
just put stock ones back on

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, and why do you say that? Isn't a more solid assembly a good upgrade? I have been considering the polyurethane option, that seems to be the semi-solid piece I was told about. Someone said they were noticeably stiffer but still streetable, but that was in an sn-95....

·
Rent Asunder!
11,806 Posts
I have solid motor mounts and love them but my fox is a weekend car that barely gets driven. The solid mounts are good for putting more torque to the ground and having less torque lost in engine torque over, but it sucks for daily driving because of so much vibration. If you do go with solid motor mounts though, be adviced that you must keep your transmission mount stock or no stiffer than a polyurethane mount. If you go solid on the transmission mount, then you risk cracking your bell housing.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks for the input. I see what youre sayin about the transmission, and mine is stock so I would probably be ok. I will go with polyurethane if the mechanic has any laying around, otherwise I think I'll probably do stock ones. The only thing I am still wondering is how much difference they make in terms of performance....could it really be a noticeable improvement? Seems like a lot of people make the switch

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
stock or the polyurethane is what is go with....our cars have enough vibration to them with out adding more....like every one else said, daily driver stock....race car or weekend worrier then maybe solids

I'm guessing your CD player will skip all the time with solids;)

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
Cool thanks for the input. I see what youre sayin about the transmission, and mine is stock so I would probably be ok. I will go with polyurethane if the mechanic has any laying around, otherwise I think I'll probably do stock ones. The only thing I am still wondering is how much difference they make in terms of performance....could it really be a noticeable improvement? Seems like a lot of people make the switch
On a mostly stock type car, you might get a little different throttle response, but I doubt you'd really see anything better in track times.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
go with poly energy suspension motor mounts man and be done with it. They'll last forever and give you added support without being too much and increasing the vibs too much.

I say energy suspension because other brands like prothane tend to raise the motor up slightly which clearance issues with the stock hood etc and you don't find out until it's too late.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Anyone ever use PST's motor mounts? Not sure if motor mounts ever squeek like sway bar bushings, but the graphite impregnated poly bushings work great. No noise. I'm still running vert motor mounts.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Im on the other side of the table, I wouldnt have a problem running solid mounts in a street car. I have a set that will be going into my 81 and when i had to replace them on my 82 i put in solid mounts and didnt notice any extra vibration or anything like that, it was still daily driven and i didnt see any ill effects. I guess it will depend on the car but i dont see a problem running them, but as was said, keep a stock or poly trans mount otherwise you can have problems.

·
Registered
222 Posts
go with poly energy suspension motor mounts man and be done with it. They'll last forever and give you added support without being too much and increasing the vibs too much.

I say energy suspension because other brands like prothane tend to raise the motor up slightly which clearance issues with the stock hood etc and you don't find out until it's too late.
+1

that's exactly what I have and I love them...

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
meh, I have energy poly mounts and it raised my motor. but I had stock 'vert mounts before them, so maybe the 'vert mounts where that much shorter?

not sure, but I know it raised the motor for me.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
meh, I have energy poly mounts and it raised my motor. but I had stock 'vert mounts before them, so maybe the 'vert mounts where that much shorter?

not sure, but I know it raised the motor for me.
vert mounts are shorter which is probably you seen a difference

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool thanks for all the input guys. I think I will go with polys in the future, right now I just want the car back. Maybe in the summer I will replace them, because from what I understand its not imperative right now and im low on cash :-( as usual. Anyway, glad we sorted it out and I appreciate the opinions. Videos/pics soon to come of my new exhaust!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts