Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice on what may be the issue here. With cool outdoor temps my car goes nowhere when I hit the throttle. I'll be doing about 45 then mash the gas, engine revs hard, boost kicks all the way up, and the car has 0 acceleration, it just keeps on trucking at 45 mph. I'm not getting an engine light so I think it is either in the transmission or the differential. For some reason the power isnt transferring to the rear wheels.
What should I do? New transmission?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RPMs go to redline, boost goes up as it should, Car gets up to highway speed normally under normal acceleration, drives normally and accelerates normally under partial throttle. This only happens when it's less than 60 degrees outside, so maybe I'm thinking the extra pwer gained at cool temps could be too much for the transmission to handle. And only happens when punching the throttle at normal speeds (between 45 and 70 mph) so like 3rd or 4rth gears. I can't imagine it would be tire spin. It's gotta be the transmission

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Sounds like it could possibly be a torque convertor issue. If the transmission seems to act normal under most conditions, no slipping or wierd shifting, I would put money on your convertor. You're running a pretty decent amount of power through it and I bet it's not locking up like it should. Does it feel like the clutch slipping on a manual?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sounds like it could possibly be a torque convertor issue. If the transmission seems to act normal under most conditions, no slipping or wierd shifting, I would put money on your convertor. You're running a pretty decent amount of power through it and I bet it's not locking up like it should. Does it feel like the clutch slipping on a manual?

Agree, maybe do a datalog on the convertor duty cycle, you should be able to see if it's slipping.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Exactly....it feels like a slipping clutch would. I suppose I need a new torque converter. Any recommendations what aftermarket converters would be good with my setup?

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Precision Industries triple disc is the only way to go even though it is a little more $$. The TCI's don't hold up to any HP. As far as stall speed, that is up to you. The only thing, be prepared for the funky color, it looks like a purple tele tubby thingy!

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Someone needs to paint sprinkles on that thing, it looks like a big purple glazed doughnut.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
When a torque converter comes to mind purple just doesnt fallow that same line.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts