Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a '92 GT that is all stock that I drive when the weather permits. I've been looking at the V3 sci (5-6psi) supercharger to slap on and be done with it, but I have recently found some gt40x heads on Craigslist for a good deal and have thought about going N/A.

What I would like some input on is if I do get these heads and buy some more parts, am I going to be in over my head? I haven't opened an engine, granted I am only 19. My car has been reliable for the 7 months I have had it, and I would hate for me to finish and end up losing that reliability. I know I would enjoy the N/A build more than the supercharger, but the level of install has me worried I will be overwhelmed once I get everything torn apart.
So should I get those heads and piece together a combo, or buy the vortech, or just enjoy my car as is?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I wouldn't go with those heads. I recommend trick flow 170s. Those heads will be better than stock but for the best bang for your buck I'd go with trick flows. As far as the super charger I have no experience with them but I am pretty sure you'll have to upgrade your fuel pump and I know you need bigger injectors.
A good h/c/I kit will run you around 2500 new. I believe the vortech kits are about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
The Vortech will give you about 80 hp, it will take a lot of engine work to get that same amount, not to mention if you get bored of it or decide to go n/a the blower is easily sold. GT 40 heads aren't worth much anyway.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Go boost. Like was noted above you'll also need to upgrade injectors and fuel pump and get a dyno tune (in my opinion). But it will give you about the same power as a good H/C/I and you won't have to open the engine. AND, if you decide you want more power in the future, then you can start getting into heads, etc.. and have a real beast on your hands. Or, if you decide to buy used, you won't take a huge hit on the resale of the supercharger if you take it off some day. Plus boost is fun ;)

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Boost. Boost all day. It's the easiest way to make big power

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
It's no shame in your skill level. I wasn't really much of a car guy until I bought my first Mustang when I was 19. Heads aren't the hardest thing in the world to do, but the supercharger would definately be easier. You'll be able to get your hands dirty still and enjoy a bigger hp payoff. If you were going to go heads, then the gt40 stuff wouldn't be my first choice anyway, and you'd need a cam also to be able to get something good out of them anyway. Now you're in deeper. I'd use a TF 170 or better head, but then you need all the bolt on's to get what you need out of those heads along with a cam. The kit's that TrickFlow sells are a much better option, but are the same price as the vortech and you still need more stuff just like with the vortech, just alot more work. My opinion is grab the supercharger and have more fun now. If I did it all over again, I would probably have done the same. You'll need a bigger fuel pump, and appropriate sized injectors from the get go. I would also skip any kind of FMU and go right for a dyno tune when you get it complete. If you can't afford the dyno tune afterword (about another 500 bucks), then wait. It's worth it. My buddy was running his blower for a while untuned while he was building his stroker. Night and day difference and less chance of blowing head gaskets with good driveability.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks FastStang, that was the kind of response I was looking for. Vortech it is, thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts