Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been scouring the net trying to find the length of the 5.0's stock injector. I was retarded and didn't measure when I had them out to swap the manifolds so tonight I decided to pull the rail again and measure for myself. 60mm o-ring to o-ring. While this might seem like an insignificant discovery to some, some might find this useful. This discovery means that GT500 injectors will not work without some sort of modification. You could shorten the length of the spacers that go between the rail and manifold, but on stock manifold cars this could present a space issue between the fuel line and the neck of the manifold. I'm also currently digging into the spark plug dilemma that I've discovered as well. I'm refuse to believe we don't share plugs with any other motor, part of that is attributed to this Plugs for 05+ Hemi and this Plugs for 2011+ 5.0 The part numbers are the same. So wish me luck guys...I'm off to the dodge forums to see what other options might exist.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so using the data I've found from JPC and assuming we share plugs with the hemi, I've got some info

These are the stock options for plugs for a 08 Challenger SRT8:
SRT-8 Challenger Plugs

While these are from a 08 Charger 5.7 Hemi:
R/T Charger Plugs

While some won't notice, most should note the heat range difference. It is one step colder for the 6.1 vs the 5.7 hemis. Now with that information, you look at JPC and notice that there is no distinction between which hemi the plugs are for. If they are for the 5.7 then stock 6.1 plugs would be one step colder. You could see where the dilemma could come into play here. I've been a long time NGK user for plugs and that's why I've been looking quite heavily into this. I also know that having the wrong heat range in my cavalier cost me a $500 head one time. So I know the importance of having the right plugs first hand. I know this probably isn't earth shattering information, but I'm trying to know as much of the little things as possible. The little things make a BIG difference between a blown motor and something that can take a lickin and keep on tickin.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And more searching yields more results.

We share plugs with the 5.7 hemi. A summit search for the stock plug yielded a plug that has a 1.0 inch reach, as does the 5.7, the 6.1 has a 25mm (.984 in.) reach. Ok so those that don't thing that .016 will make a difference...you would be way off. That fraction will keep the plug out of the combustion chamber that small amount and cause an erratic burn due to interference of the head itself. Then I started changing up heat range numbers for the 5.7 hemi, no results found yet and it's bed time. This will continue tomorrow night.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
hey skunk i took this picture yesterday.
here is a pic.

on the left is the stock 2011 injector. its alot longer than the gt500. if you can find the spacer for it it will work tho because the tip is the same length.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it would have to be a different fuel rail spacer, and it would work just fine for me and you now. I think it would create a problem with the stock manifold. 60mm down to 48.5mm. The spacers that lethal has would make the spacer on the manifold longer. You would need a spacer in either the manifold or fuel rail.

There are more than enough choices for injector at 60mm in length. It's the same length my Cavalier used. I've got 4 60's. They are ev1 connectors, so adapters will be needed and only need 4 more and I've got my injectors.

My focus now is the spark plugs.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha!!!!!!!! Victory? Possibly. So pulling a stock plug to examine it's dimensions and a few other things I found this...a NGK style part number accompanied by "JAPAN" printed into the housing pn on the plugs is "LTR6AI-13" this tells the whole story of the plug especially accompanied by the dimensions. The information that I found on summit for our stock plugs was inaccurate. The reach is, in fact, .984 or 25mm. Heat range is 6, so any hemi guys out there paying attention...if you've got a 5.7 us coyote folk have a plug that's 2 heat ranges colder, that is if my assumption of this being a NGK manufactured plug is correct. That 6 sitting in there is quite ominous...they are running this thing with a cold plug from factory...BUT I did some digging into some other pn's that I happen to know from my 4 banger days...got some good news, Seems To Be a 1 Step Colder For Us, while I'm still digging and don't have a definitive answer just yet, this is progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts