Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't have a mustang...yet, but its a good possibility here in the near future. I Bought an r6 a while ago(started riding mx when i was 5, 19 now) and am thinking about getting rid of it to grab a car. As much fun as the bike is, it tries to get me in trouble every time I ride it haha.

One of my friends has an '87, with the 5.0/5speed, pretty stock(I think it has a cat back exhaust and a cold air intake), its ugly, but it runs good and he only wants $1500.

I'll have about $3000 left to play with after I purchase it and would like to have something fun to play around in and maybe take to the track in the summertime. Also, it wont be a full time daily driver at first, but I might end up driving it more than my truck after I start to mod it. My question is, what does it take to make about 325-350whp with these cars? Can it be done with aluminum heads, cam, intake, full exhaust, and a good tune? I'll be grabbing the A/C delete also. I imagine I'll need a bigger fuel pump, and probably injectors along with the other mods. So would this be something that i could make happen on my budget? How much abuse do the bottom ends of these engines take before they start to come apart?

Sorry for all the questions, I don't know a whole lot about these cars as my whole family pretty much own all Chevy's,(I'll be getting a lot of **** from everyone if i buy this haha.)I love them, including my truck, but after I got to drive this car, its fun, and I like these WAY better than the 3rd or 4th gen camaros.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Why do you have to have that rwhp? Just curious because everyone always has a weird sense of what horsepower they want, but don't have a clue how 350 rwhp feels in a foxbody Mustang. Anyway, you may want to plan on upping your budget. You'll have 3k in used parts/deals to get to around 300rwhp when putting together a complete package. IE: heads, cam, intake, all the bolt on's, exhaust, etc.

·
Drunk On Arrival...
1,083 Posts
You can make your 325whp with a H/C/I swap and a good tune and of course supporting mods.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
For 3 grand you can buy a Trick Flow top end kit and make lower 300s to the wheels. Just get a stage 2 cam instead of the stage 1. IMO a stage 1 is too mild for a lot of performance and it belongs on a gt40 headed combo. They do do well with trick flow heads, though... Obviously.

The top end kit is around 2400ish. Then you'll need a full pump, Injectors, full exhaust, mass air meter, throttle body, cold air intake, possibly lifters, rockers and don't forget oil/antifreeze and a full gasket kit

So up your 3k budget by about 1500 and you're there. But with 3 grand you have a great start.

Sent from my galaxy s II

1 - 7 of 7 Posts