Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter I forgot to unhook my battery and it died, tried to recharge it and no luck. So I went out to Ford ( yes I'm that loyal ) and bought myself a nice new battery, hooked it up and went for a drive. On the way back home, I noticed the battery light was on, and all of a sudden my gauges shut off, radio died and a few other warning lights like my ebrake and stuff went on. I made it home, shut my car off, tried to restart it and nothing. My battery was dead.

Anyway, I took out the battery cause I thought it was defective, recharged it and it was fine. I then took out the alternator and had it tested, which also turned out to be fine. I put the alternator and the battery back in the car, started it, and the damn battery light still goes on after like 20 seconds.

I am SO lost, I really have no clue what the problem is. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Oh yeah, and its a 2005 GT

·
Registered
123 Posts
The alternator would be the first suspect....but if you had that checked, I can see where you'd be lost on this one. Are you sure you got all the wires hooked back up after the alternator check? Up by the battery?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I used to have a problem similar to this on my 68 Mustang, and still have it sometimes on my 73 Bronco. Sometimes the battery terminals get buildup between them and the battery cable clamps and it kills the power. It took me a few times to figure out what the hell was going on, but I found after cleaning the battery terminals, and the cable clamps it would start right up, and work fine. This would happen every few months. Just something to look at. Good luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey GT350R. I was looking at the wiring diagram and it appears there is a fusible link in the 8 guage wire from the alternator to the battery. You could disconnect the battery end and see if you have continuity from one end of the wire to the other.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I took my car in to a shop expecting a huge bill and guess what, 53 Bucks. Didn't hook the battery back up properly, it wasn't screwed down all the way or something. BLAH. Took the alternator out for nothing. how stupid lol!

·
Registered
123 Posts
LOL.....glad to hear it was a cheap fix! Woo Hoo!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts