Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
somebody give me some reasons to keep and bore out my 302 to 347 rather than go balls to the wall and get a 514.....i dont need to be spending all my deployment money on my car but thats not enuff to keep me from buying a monster.....whats the best i can get a 347 or 331 to perform at?
it would be wise for me to keep my EFI but i want to go carb.....im looking to spend no more on that about 7000 on engine and maybe 2000 on trans....
any help would be great....

·
Premium Member
33,198 Posts
is forced induction out of the question?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If you don't plan on making more than say 450-500 crank hp then you should be ok with a stock block 347. I wouldn't do a 331, waste of money over the 347 IMO, why not get the extra cubes. It will save you money as opposed to doing a 408(or whatever 351 stroker combo you were thinking) but not a whole lot. I personally wouldn't reccommend a 460 in a fox when you can make so much power with a sb windsor.

I look at like this, if I could do my build again, I would do a 408 in a heartbeat.

for 7k, I wouldn't go with the stock 302 block , especially if you are going carb'd. You can make good N/A numbers with a 408 with 7 k.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
are the parts from the 5.0 block and the 351 w Interchangeable? ive been looking around and there seems to be less parts for the 351....i dunno with getting the 408 im gonna have to get rid of my outstandingly beautiful hood too arent I? then i gotta get a bellhousing and a million other things.....i really do want to do a 408 with afr 205ccs and mighty demon 825/ weiand stealth intake.....i dunno...ive just got off a 36 hr patrol and im a little tired and wired and im babbling now so yea....thanks for all the input.....

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
if u have the money go ahead and get a dart 351 block then it will be bullitproof and give u extreme room to grow.... u could go with the 347 stockblock but when your ready u will be pissed that u have to spend the money twice. 347 with all the supporting mods is gonna run u about 4-5k (thats start to finish if u do alot of it yourself) depending what heads u put on it. for about 1-2k more u could build a monster 408 with about 550 all motor to the wheels.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
woody if you got some quotes and stuff please please please pm me and well talk....i can call in about a week or two (the phones are down right now) but i'd like to know about payment shipping and stuff....its gotta get shipped to oahu hawaii....

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
maybe cuz im broke but id just keep 302 mostly stock, do a procharger like ryans, add some nitrous, heads, cam intake etc and call it a day

ok yes its not the same motor but... i met a guy the other day with the 289 procharged and a few other mods puttings 429hp to wheels

·
Registered
559 Posts
woody if you got some quotes and stuff please please please pm me and well talk....i can call in about a week or two (the phones are down right now) but i'd like to know about payment shipping and stuff....its gotta get shipped to oahu hawaii....
Ok hang tight I am headed to the shop right now

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
all motor is cool and all but your going to have to spend twice the money to get the same power that a forced induction can produce. for instance if you want power at a decent price vortech has a 8psi supercharger kit for 2.6k comes with everything even a custom chip

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i got a 75 drag nova and i know a little more on carbs and i know i can just tune it way better than letting a computer do it....

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
true but what happens when you get numb to that power? then youre stuck....im goin big with motor first then i can do whatever i want with it later...like after the next deployment....

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
i got a 75 drag nova and i know a little more on carbs and i know i can just tune it way better than letting a computer do it....
In all fairness, a computer tuned by someone who really knows what they are doing is going to be more precise than a carb in an application like this. The problem is the cost and the headache of buying parts and diagnosing problems. Much simpler with a carb to diagnose, and you don't have to pay for chips burned, or piggyback, or standalone systems and all the other fun stuff that comes with an EFI system. Driveability is another plus with EFI, though. Any which way you decide to go, I agree with woody, I would buy at least an assembled shortblock if not an entire carb to pan setup and save yourself a headache. That way you don't have to worry about finding parts or figuring out which part will work best with the rest of the combo, ect.. This may be just from my debacle with my 306 though. If you are looking to learn then by all means build, I just think a 7k motor is not going to be the best motor to learn how to build on.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yea i guess....im just trying to find the cheapest (with the best parts) way out...i got my dad and my crew chief to help assemble...

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
In all fairness, a computer tuned by someone who really knows what they are doing is going to be more precise than a carb in an application like this. The problem is the cost and the headache of buying parts and diagnosing problems. Much simpler with a carb to diagnose, and you don't have to pay for chips burned, or piggyback, or standalone systems and all the other fun stuff that comes with an EFI system. Driveability is another plus with EFI, though. Any which way you decide to go, I agree with woody, I would buy at least an assembled shortblock if not an entire carb to pan setup and save yourself a headache. That way you don't have to worry about finding parts or figuring out which part will work best with the rest of the combo, ect.. This may be just from my debacle with my 306 though. If you are looking to learn then by all means build, I just think a 7k motor is not going to be the best motor to learn how to build on.

he isnt learning how to build he just said he has a 75 nova drag car i think what he wasnts is a motor with a desent amount of power all motor and if he wants more later he can add it. i think the 408 is going to be an extreamly virsitile motor. still streetable but whill whop ass at the track. and someday if u want it to be stright drag car u can put a blower on it.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts