Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2002 Mustang V6. 115,000 miles. I've done some limited work on it, Dual exhaust, cold-air intake, interior lights etc.

With that in mind, I also have a set of 18' rims on it.

The rims can be found at my photobucket page...but this forum doesn't want me posting links it seems...

My problem has been happening for quite some time now..I had stock rims on my car at first and got my first set of rims from Ebay (woohoo...) and when i got them they were for the wrong lug specs and I asked for them to be replaced...but they only redrilled the ones I initially bought...but they assured me it didn't affect the stability or the durability of the rims, so I left it be.

After about 2 years, my car was getting a good tug to the right hand side on interstate and i began to feel some heavy vibrations at high speeds. I did my normal check-ups...balance...rotation...bought new tires etc. Nothing seemed to alleviate that vibration and pull.

After a while I took it to one shop and the guy pulled one wheel off and showed me how it rolls on it's own. After one rotation it would wobble to one side...ALWAYS at the same point. Flat ground. No obstruction.

He said I needed new wheels. So I bought ^ those rims. When I had them weighted and put on, it took out like 90% of what I had been feeling. I thought finally I would be rid of it.

Now it has returned. Much faster than it was with my previous rims. The car continues to drag to the right hand side. I'm afraid to drive in the rain because the car almost goes wherever it want's to go (although that may be just the wheels being wide). If I go at a snail's pace, I can actually feel my car sway from side to side...on perfectly paved asphalt.

I took it by a couple shops and they can't see anything wrong. I even took it by the Ford dealership in town (which I have been horribly disappointed in as far as service) and they can't tell anything wrong either.

I "did" have the problem in the summer time where the weights on the rims would actually fall off...too hot i guess and the glue unbound. Gotta love Louisiana.

Anyway, has anyone else experienced this? Any tips on what I need to look for and repair?

FYI I fear the shocks needed to be replaced (stock shocks from when i bought the car 6 years ago).

·
Registered
310 Posts
Are you lowered; if so, how much?
Have you had the front end alined recently?

Reason im asking is because I had some bad tire shake at 50mph earlier this year when I was originially lowered 2.5"; even after they rechecked the balance on my front end. Once I raised up my front end a little bit and put camber bolts in, the geometry was close enough to get rid of the shake.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nah, hadn't had it lowered at all.

Last time I got an alignment was...Probably 3-4 months ago?

I honestly can't remember.

I'm heading into town to get the breaks looked at today. This car has been driving me nuts for the last year.

Thanks for the reply though!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts