Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SON1C,

I have the foamer from AutoGeek, and some soap but my problem is ALWAYS drying my car...

My method for right now is...

1. cover/rinse the car with water.
2. Spray down entire car with foam.
3. Use a sponge to loosen up the dirt.
4. Spray down entire car with foam again
5. Spray down car with water (now here is where the problem begins).

One side of the car will start to dry with spots before I get around to towel dry it. Then I've tried the power dryer and that doesn't seem to completely get the spots out either...

How do you get the car to the point of drying because I'm probably ruining my car.

The best method I've come up with for washing my car is having one damp rag and one dry rag and literally washing my car like waxing it...

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
SON1C,

I have the foamer from AutoGeek, and some soap but my problem is ALWAYS drying my car...

My method for right now is...

1. cover/rinse the car with water.
2. Spray down entire car with foam.
3. Use a sponge to loosen up the dirt.
4. Spray down entire car with foam again
5. Spray down car with water (now here is where the problem begins).

One side of the car will start to dry with spots before I get around to towel dry it. Then I've tried the power dryer and that doesn't seem to completely get the spots out either...

How do you get the car to the point of drying because I'm probably ruining my car.

The best method I've come up with for washing my car is having one damp rag and one dry rag and literally washing my car like waxing it...
When you do your final rinse are you sheeting the water?
Do you use QD?

·
Registered
479 Posts
You know son1c isn't the only one who knows how to detail right?
:swordfight:

I don't have my foam cannon yet but I will shortly, and I have a good plan of attack for when I do.
With my car being True Blue, I also am constantly fighting water spots.
I'm also assuming you have a pressure washer, but if not it's pretty much the same deal.

Most people do not rinse the car first when foaming. Foaming a dry car allows the foam to stick better from what I've seen.
Here's what I normally do plus what I plan to do when I get my foam cannon.

1. Foam entire car and let dwell for a bit ~3-5 mins
2. Rinse car with high pressure to blast dirt off
3. Foam only the top of the car, use TBM and hand wash the part you just foamed.
4. Rinse entire car
5. Foam one side of the car, use TBM and hand wash that side
6. Rinse entire car (gotta keep everything wet)
7. Foam other side, use TBM and hand wash that side
8. Rinse entire car.
9. Foam front then hand wash
10. Rinse entire car
11. Foam rear then hand wash
12. Rinse entire car
13. Sheet the water off
14. Start Drying.

Do you have a wax or sealant on your car? Without one the water will start to dry much quicker as it doesn't bead and is harder to remove from the paint.

I hope that those 'rags' are at least microfiber, if not I can only imagine what your black paint looks like :eek:

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts

I don't have my foam cannon yet but I will shortly, and I have a good plan of attack for when I do.
I'm also assuming you have a pressure washer, but if not it's pretty much the same deal.

Most people do not rinse the car first when foaming. Foaming a dry car allows the foam to stick better from what I've seen.

3. Foam only the top of the car, use TBM and hand wash the part you just foamed.
4. Rinse entire car
8. Rinse entire car.
10. Rinse entire car
12. Rinse entire car
13. Sheet the water off
14. Start Drying.

Do you have a wax or sealant on your car? Without one the water will start to dry much quicker as it doesn't bead and is harder to remove from the paint.

I hope that those 'rags' are at least microfiber, if not I can only imagine what your black paint looks like :eek:
Foreal on the rags. Get a chamois. I think its awesome.

·
It'll buff out...
5,379 Posts
You need to sheet the water, take the pray nozzle off and let the water run onto the car, from the top down. Spray a little quick detailer on any drops that are left and wipe with your microfiber. That's what I do and it always works.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ehhh chamois and WW's work, but my favorite drying method is to sheet then use my stihl backpack leaf blower then go over jams and stuff with a microfiber.

If you have a nice lsp on there the water just blows right off!

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
Ehhh chamois and WW's work, but my favorite drying method is to sheet then use my stihl backpack leaf blower then go over jams and stuff with a microfiber.

i LOVED my leafblower But I lost it during the move. :facepalm:

·
2013 5.0
2,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When you do your final rinse are you sheeting the water?
Do you use QD?
I have no idea what sheeting the water means.

Towel Dry?
Towel drying is what I try to do, but by them time I get around to taking the water off the car, it's already drying leaving streaks and runs.

4. Rinse entire car
8. Rinse entire car.
10. Rinse entire car
12. Rinse entire car
13. Sheet the water off
14. Start Drying.

The rags are literally bathroom towels and old kitchen towels. Yeah, the paint looks like crap but I'm not going to go full blown correction until I know how to clean the car properly first.

I hated my chamois, then again it was a shitty one. WW 4 lyfe yo
pics or nothing :shiftyeyes. I love my chamois.Did you wash it?
I bought a chamois and wasted all the money I spent... it's from autogeek and it literally performs like the clothe napkins you get at a restaurant. 3 drops and the damn thing is saturated and won't hold or move any water.

I'd still have to use the leaf blower in small segments in order to prevent dry spots.

·
It'll buff out...
5,379 Posts
Never ever use bath towels for drying paint, those things are evil. You just need to go to autozone and get a 15$ synthetic chamois, or get a microfiber drying towel. SHEET THE WATER!!! take the spray nozzle off ur hose and let the water run softly onto your car work from the top down. You'll be amazed, it dries the car for you, trust me. Use quick detail spray on any remaining drops and wipe GENTLY with a CLEAN microfiber drying towel. I'll try to find you a video.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Are you washing your car in direct sunlight and a wind storm?

If the water really dries that fast that tells me that you have absolulty zero protection on your paint.

If you can't do this than it doesn't surprise me that it dies that fast.

Invest in QUALITY microfibers!!!!

Don't worry about getting a dedicated drying towel, I use my regular mf's and when they get wet I just wring them out and good to go again.

Sounds to me like you really need to get some protection on that paint, it will help you with washing your car immensely.

Watch these video's:
Long Live the JunkMan!

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Chamois is BAD bad and BAD... only use a WW. Chamois will cause swirls like crazy.

Your number one issue is I don't see you mentioned a bucket at all. A foam canon is NOT a replacement for bucket washing.

How often do you seal/wax your car? Power/Blow driers will not work well unless the car has a good layer of protection to sheet the water off.

1. Prepare your materials
  2. Fill up two buckets of water
  3. Add your dilution of soap to one (pour in soap, mix with your hand, jet of water to activate suds)
  4. Leave the other empty... this is your rinse bucket
  5. Fill up the foam canon with water
  6. Add soap dilution
  7. Mix with feeder tube
  8. Cover car in foam
  9. Rinse foam off
  10. Proceed to wash with your wash mitt and two bucket. Always wash from the top down, and always clean the mitt before dipping it back into the soap bucket
  11. Do the car in sections... I like to do the roof, rear quater panel, door, and fender.... then rinse
  12. One final spray rinse to asure soap is gone.
  13. Apply the "Sheeting Method" - Run a nozzel free stream of water across the paint. This will cause the water to sheet off. It does this via the water molecules linking together.
  14. Blow dry with your desired tool
  15. Using a QD + some MFs proceed to wipe down the car.

·
It'll buff out...
5,379 Posts
Are you washing your car in direct sunlight and a wind storm?

If the water really dries that fast that tells me that you have absolulty zero protection on your paint.

If you can't do this than it doesn't surprise me that it dies that fast.
The Pooling Rinse Process - YouTube

Invest in QUALITY microfibers!!!!

Don't worry about getting a dedicated drying towel, I use my regular mf's and when they get wet I just wring them out and good to go again.

Sounds to me like you really need to get some protection on that paint, it will help you with washing your car immensely.

Watch these video's:
Junkman's 2-Bucket Wash Technique - Part 1 - YouTube
Junkman's 2-Bucket Wash Technique - Part 2 - YouTube
Junkman's 2-Bucket Wash Technique - Part 3 - YouTube
Long Live the JunkMan!
Haha that junkman guy was awesome.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts