Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under my car replacing a fog light bulb, and i noticed a dam oil leak. It seems to be coming from around my oil pan? I looked under my hood and didn't notice any oil from above. Here's a picture of it..

Any help please? I checked my oil level and its normal

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
mine leaks too. not bad but it recently turned into a leak from a seep. doesn't affect oil level but will be replacing oil pan gasket when i install the tubular k member (gotta drop k member to pull oil pan)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Your crank seal is bad I’d bet.
Go to autozone or whatever you have round your area rent a harmonic balance puller, buy a new seal, optional buy a seal puller looks like a big fish hook. I recommend harbor freight on cost like $8 bucks makes life easy.
Disconnect neg battery terminal, Jack car up, remove belt, remove harmonic balancer, remove old seal, install new seal (i put mine in the freezer for an hour so it’d shrink a little), reinstall harmonic balancer first to 66ft lb, then back off the bolt, torque to 36 ft lb, finish with an additional *90 turn, re run belt, take the car off the jacks, reconnect battery
Optional pick up some simple green and spray that dirty engine bay down wash off and enjoy!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Your crank seal is bad I’d bet.
Go to autozone or whatever you have round your area rent a harmonic balance puller, buy a new seal, optional buy a seal puller looks like a big fish hook. I recommend harbor freight on cost like $8 bucks makes life easy.
Disconnect neg battery terminal, Jack car up, remove belt, remove harmonic balancer, remove old seal, install new seal (i put mine in the freezer for an hour so it’d shrink a little), reinstall harmonic balancer first to 66ft lb, then back off the bolt, torque to 36 ft lb, finish with an additional *90 turn, re run belt, take the car off the jacks, reconnect battery
Optional pick up some simple green and spray that dirty engine bay down wash off and enjoy!
Harbor freight FTMFW!!!

·
I Have A FLATULENT Butthole.
7,889 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crank seal? It looks like it's coming from around my oil pan. I'm not sure where a crank seal is or even what it is though so i'm not entirely sure

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
do you really need to drop the K? maybe just unhook the driveshaft and pull the motor up as far as you can to get access? :dunno

·
Registered
487 Posts
Crank seal? It looks like it's coming from around my oil pan. I'm not sure where a crank seal is or even what it is though so i'm not entirely sure
See that big metal round thing in your picture, thats your harmonic balancer and there is a seal behind it. Very common leaking point for mustangs. Easy way to find out where your leak is coming from is to clean your engine bay....

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i would deff hope its a front main seal over a oil pan gasket. its alot easier to repalce the seal than the oil pan gasket. you have to get a engine brace or a cherry picker to hold the motor up and drop the k member to change the oil pan gasket. some people have gotten away with holding the motor up with a jack under the trans but i dont trust that to much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts