Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a beautifully restored 69 hardtop. The previous owner did a phenomenal job on the interior, restoring the dash to its original beauty. He even went so far as to mount the original old AM radio though he did not hook it up. I'm an avid music fan so I'm looking to install a kickass sound system but I don't want to do anything that will mess up the interior. Can anyone offer some advice on the following:
  1. I've seen new stereo components (i.e. CD, MP3, IPOD) that not only fit the stereo slot in classic mustangs, but have a nice vintage styling that doesn't look out of place...see: Classic Mustang Restoration Parts, Accessories, Convertible, Mustangs
    I'm considering this as a possiblity but I really like the look of the old radio and would like to keep it if possible. I've heard there are options where you can mount the new component in the glove box or behind the dash and control it remotely...anyone know anything about this?
  2. When he redid the vehicle I think he removed the stock speakers (probably long deteriorated with age), since he didnt have a sound system he obviously never replaced them. What are my options for some good speakers that wont require me to mess up my interior? I value good sound quality far more than I do the ability to produce a rumble from a mile away (after all thats what the engine's for ;) I've seen they have what they call 'kickpanel speakers' for classic mustangs but I'm not sure exactly how they work or how they are mounted...any ideas? Plus, from what I've seen they only go up to 1968, haven't seen any for 69s. There are also what they call 'dual voice' speakers for the front...in the rear they seem to offer options that can be mounted behind the rear seats or underneath the front seats...lotsa options but I'm sort of at a loss for the key advantages/disadvantages
thanx in adavnace for any help you can provde!

S

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
music

i have a pioneer unit with a 12 disc changer in my trunk.it operates from a marine remote or a line of site hand remote.by the way you didnt see a nitrous bottle,fuel cell,or batt in there.its a figment of your imagination.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
boosted...yep, its a 69 grande though the seller kept insisting that it was truly a light gray that was a custom color given exclusively to Ford execs back in the day, not sure how to confirm this or what the actual color might be called but if you hold up a sheet of white paper to it it will bring the gray out

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
you can leave the am in and still put a rear unit in.maintain looks and still have sounds.the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
207 Posts
For 69 and 70's they have a dash piece you can buy that you can just put a cd player into. I bought it it looks awsome and if you get a head unit with green lights it matches the interior lights and looks awsome. Also for the front they make pannels that you mount your own speakers in them and they fit into the air vents. All in all its way awsome

·
Registered
49 Posts
i used to have the original 8 track and then my cd player mounted just under the dash area with a remote. Then some tool stole the 8 Track out of my car. FYI it worked fantastic too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts