Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some $$ to burn and want to get this stuff done over the upcoming break. I'm riding on my stock shocks right now and i think they are on there way out after being abused with the pro kit springs the last 15k miles. So its coming down to Koni STR.T or bilstein shocks, with a steeda adjustable upper control arm and steeda sway bars.
ORRR i could leave the suspension and get a Steeda cowl hood plus prep and paint. What would you guys do? and if i go with the shocks/UCA/swaybars which shocks would you get? the konis are like 220 bucks cheaper than the bilsteins...

·
Registered
646 Posts
if your stock shocks are on the way out you might as well spend the money on suspension no point in having a sexy hood and busted shocks that starts to fall into the rice classification

·
Registered
335 Posts
Depends on how the shocks are holding up ? If you have time left on the stockers I would be leaning towards the Hood for now, then do the shocks as you need to, my two cents. :cool:

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im kind of figuring that, i wont have much of a chance to install new shocks in the spring semester, and i know these wont last till summer. But this hood is so sexyyyy

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
suspension by far when you show the car off in the summer you can have your hood then.

·
Registered
335 Posts
With the shocks and other goodies you should notice a nice improvment in ride and launch, go for it !

So many mods so little time !

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you really want the hood I see take-off shocks for sale on Ebay and forum classifieds for very little money. The only thing is , you wouldn't get the benefit of the upgraded suspension, but you'd have fresh shocks and springs.

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hood ftw! Btw, u have eibach springs... Why not get eibach shocks? They are made for those springs.
the konis are adjustable and a little cheaper, i have heard good things about them. Anyone running the eibach shocks/struts? Or juco do you have any links to feedback about them?

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
The Koni STR.Ts aren't adjustable, and neither are the Bilsteins.

If I were you, I'd do the suspension first.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I haven't decided yet. I might be gearing my car more towards drag racing so that's going to effect my shock decision greatly. Personally, I'd go with the Konis because the amount of money that Bilstein wants is ridiculous. There are some people who think Bilstein is the only company who can make shocks worth a damn and that's just wrong.

The 03-04 Cobras came with Bilsteins on them. However, the same ones that you'd buy as replacement from Bilstein for that year were different and had problems with them failing. Even after knowing that there was a widespread issue of them failing, Bilstein didn't even change the design to how FORD spec'd them even though those ones were holding up fine! Maximum Motorsports used to, not sure now, give you the option for an additional cost to change the Bilsteins you just bought to how Ford had spec'd them so you didn't have them fail. This isn't saying that all Bilsteins suck but it just proves that they aren't perfect either.

tokico d specs
Sure if you want them to blow out in 10,000 miles. **** those shocks!

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Koni STR.Ts aren't adjustable, and neither are the Bilsteins.

If I were you, I'd do the suspension first.
good catch, yea that looks like what im leaning towards, now its just decision time. I think what i read about were the koni sports, i don't know too much about the STR.Ts. big price difference too lol. I was excited thinking i was getting adjustable shocks with room to spare for sway bars and an UCA.

Nasty aren't bilsteins what most people are running who are drag racing oriented? Any one running them on an S197 on here?

·
BWAL Is My Hero
15,891 Posts
Drag racing is QA1's turf. Expensive, but worth it. Heavy GT runs the single adjustables in the rear and loves them. Forensic Steve I think runs QA1's at all four corners with great results. Albeit his car isn't really a street car. If you want to go the super cheap route, I know some guys that still run lakewoods in the rear and swear by them. But you get what you pay for. Go to Jegs for the Lakewoods. They don't have a specific set for S197's, but it isn't hard to make them work. They are only like $50 a piece compared to the $200 for QA1's.

Rear single adjustable QA1's :
QA1 05-09 GT/GT500 Rear Single Adjustable Shock (1 Piece) [MU7857P] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

Front's:
QA1 05-09 Mustang Front Struts (with sway bar bracket) [H2005] : Lethal Performance, Performance parts for Ford Mustangs

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks towelly. and wow those are expensive haha

1 - 20 of 28 Posts