Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I gapped a new set of HT-0s to about .026 to fix my spark blowout misfire problem. The good news is that the misfires ended immediately and the car runs like a raped ape. The bad news is I got a P0172 code for Bank 1 rich after only 45 miles with the new plugs. My instantaneous mileage showed about 21.4 MPG at 70 MPH with cruise, no wind on level ground--seems a bit high.

Can anybody help me understand the freeze frame data? I understand the fuel trim numbers--short term on both banks was -1.56, long term on both banks was-11.72, so it does look like the car is trying to lean the mixture, but not excessively so, and not outside "acceptable" parameters. Fuel sys 1 showed closed loop. Fuel sys 2 showed closed loop--fault. I know about closed loop vs open loop, but what's the difference between system 1 and system 2, and what does the CL-fault mean? The remainder of the freeze frame data was:

Calc Load 14.51%
ECT 150 Deg F
Eng RPM 2707
Veh Spd 71 MPH
Spark Adv 45
IAT 87
MAF 1.87 Lb/Min

I've got triplets on the way in a couple of weeks, so I need to nail this down ASAP--garage passess are going to be scarce pretty soon!

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Holy schnikees, triplets? Congrats, and I'm also sorry.

Can't help with all the logged data, but my understanding to date about system one and system 2 is that system 2 is you limp or fail safe..

·
Registered
817 Posts
The best time to call is around the evening 3-4 use both numbers 909-941-0985 909-941-6646 sales same **** and talk to Mike from what iknow he seems to know a great deal.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My instantaneous mileage showed about 21.4 MPG at 70 MPH with cruise, no wind on level ground--seems a bit high.
Oops. I meant LOW, not high. It sounds like most people are getting mileage in the mid-twenties if they stay off the boost. Sign of an overly rich mixture, perhaps? I'm using the canned KB tune since there aren't any dyno shops within a50 miles, as far as I know.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So, nobody out there knows what the "fault" means on fuel sys 2 "CL-fault"? I know I don't have a clue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now that you have the data call kb with it and see if they can offer any help.
I e-mailed the data to KB--they wanted to know if I was SURE that I REALLY re-flashed the computer with their tune during the install. I am positive I did so. Nevertheless, I re-flashed it today (again) just to be sure, but I'm curious. Wouldn't the car run like complete **** all the time if I still had the stock tune with an 8 PSI intercooled blower? when my car isn't misfiring (like now--keeping my fingers crossed) it runs great at any throttle setting or RPM.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ECT is coolant temp, right? Is 150 deg too high? I did install the low temp thermostat that came with my KB kit.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The KB thermostat is a 160 degree. I would set it to that or just above and see what happens.
How do you set a thermostat? I though automotive thermostats were designed to hold a pre-set temperature. (180 for the stock thermo, 160 for the unit in the KB kit). My trips are pretty short--my guess is the coolant temp just never reached 160 before the check engine light came on. My understanding is, freeze frame is a snapshot of the data at the instant the code is thrown, so it's possible for a low temp to show up if the code happens to be generated before the car is warmed up. Is that not correct?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts