Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
In my opinion keep it OEM unless you have a valid reason for needing better plugs as in colder plugs. Only thing that constitutes needing them is boost or nitrous. Just my opinion though, everything else is a waste of money. I am running autolite coppers with motorcraft wires at the moment and don't have a single issue.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Yeah, i just did my entire ignition coil and plugs. Put in new plugs, new ignition coil.. OEM wires. Runs like a charm. I wouldnt upgrade wires unless you burnt one out or had a good reason to. otherwise the stock ones work just aw well.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have used those wires in the past. They will do just fine.
OEM wires do a good job of providing a consistent performance level. I upgraded to Granatelli wires for added insurance. I once had the misfortune of installing an aftermarket used ignition coil that caused a terrible missfire and caused the plug wire boots to raise in temperature and have a melt down. Severe damage in about 45 seconds. I did not carry any spare wires and I was at a family members garage-Fu****-
When I got to 200k miles, I replaced the ignition coil and wires. The ones I choose have done me well on the street and many dyno runs.
Under normal circumstances OEM will serve you right. Some aftermarket parts can serve the same purpose and sometimes some added insurance.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
OEM OEM OEM. No need to go spend a bunch of money on things that aren't going to help you man. If your wires are still in good condition, just let them do their thing. I changed my wires at 100k miles but they were still in decent condition. The replacement wires were OEM quality made by some brand that RockAuto was going to stop carrying so I picked up the set of wires for $12 from them. As far as plugs, I've got NGKs in as well and I'm not impressed with them. I get some detonation at higher RPMs (they've only got about 10k miles on them) so they'll be getting swapped out for the Autolite coppers I have waiting to go in.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the NGKs too.. they seem to work decent, I guess. And I replaced my wires simply bc mine were trashed lol but McQueen... Do the Autolites perform better? I heard NGK were the best, which is why I got them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts