Modded Mustang Forums banner

Spark plugs

2K views 33 replies 15 participants last post by  qwik48r 
#1 ·
Where is the best place to get them and what kind should I get? I want colder than stock so I can run a supercharger or nitrious with them. What about injectors? Best place for some 39# injectors?

#3 ·
+1 on the Brisk, I got mine from Steeda. Many different brand injectors out there with many different sizes. I don't know which brands are the "best", I only understand how to calculate size needed.

#10 ·
just my opinion and if i'm off basis, please tell me and explain why, but typically by the time you add a supercharger/turbo, nos, etc....you've typically upgraded the ignition as well, in which i've always been told to run nothing more than typical autolite or cheap plug. the explanation i've been given is that most aftermarket will fowl up oe not fire based on their original design due to being pushed harder by an ignition box.

#11 ·
Unfortunately, because of our plug design, we're limited on our selection of "cheap, disposable" plugs. And upgraded ignition components generally are neither required on our cars in high performance applications, nor are they bad for spark plugs. The problem with going through more plugs is because of the extra compression/spark knock/mild detonation associated with power adders (especially when they're new and need a little tuning tweak), which busts up the porcelain. I will never buy another Autolite plug as long as I live. I've had nothing but great luck running the Brisk plugs, so that's why I recommend them, and I've gone through over $1000 worth of "Brand X" plugs before I found the Brisks. Hope that answers your question.

#32 · (Edited)
#13 ·
i ordered my HTO's from Summit. They have always price matched items for me.

#14 ·
#16 ·
Get Brisk Silver Racing from Steeda.

#18 ·
Brisk... even with some tuning issues they held up... I am with Grabber on the HT0 hating ,,, and as far as your fuel pump.. depending how big you are going to go... KB boost-a-pump was good to 540 rwhp for me but we upgraded to twin GT500s for where I will be in the spring... we made 575 on the but threw a smaller pulley on her for the winter... 620 tq is a bitch to keep from spinning even on wet streets

#22 ·
whats your maximum boost your gonna be lookin at?

39#'s are gonna go static around 450whp with 40psi base pressure.

i think these cars use an EV6 connector so a set of 60's by ractronix would keep you safer than your stock internals can handle.

Ill throw in another pump too. spark plug wise I'd use 1 degree cold plug and gapped tight. that way, you'll know when your tuning right off if there is gonna be spark blowout in boost.. and you can later down the road pull the plugs and open the gap to make a few more ponies...

its always good to overfuel.. fwiw a set of new flowmatched 60lb's are about 390 shipped.. not much more than the 39's later down the road.

just my .2

#27 ·
As far as I am aware, most S/C kits will come complete with the required injectors and in a lot of cases the required fuel pump mods, so it seems like a waste of money buying them now if everything is working just fine.

Same applies to plugs. The stock plugs are good for up to 8 psi of boost, so with your current set-up I see no reason to change them until boost (or malfunction) dictates otherwise. Just my 2c's :)

Andy.
I agree 100% with Andy - wait until you are blown.

As far as what Qwwik48R suggested, if you go HT0's you CANNOT open them up...once you gap them, they are at that gap (or less than that gap). They require a special gapping tool that can only tighten the gap.

If you go Brisks you can do whatever you want with thegap, open or close.

#23 ·
I was talking about the plugs.
But in both cases I don't think you are getting BETTER spark or fuel input.
If the injectors are maxed at their duty cycle then definitely go to a larger injector.
But correct me if I'm wrong the larger the injector the less efficient the atomization?(seriously is this right?)
As for the spark plugs your talking about going 1 step colder
But I don't see you needing to dissipate heat at what was it....350hp n/a?
don't get me wrong some people have run colder plugs while n/a but that was because they were equipped with n2o. And they didn't end up fouling their plugs. If you wanna give it a shot all the power to you. I just don't understand it as an upgrade while n/a.
you're not going to hurt anything as long as you tune for the injectors and worst case scenario you foul some plugs.
If your not putting the s/c on right now what's the rush?

#31 · (Edited)
I was talking about the plugs.
But in both cases I don't think you are getting BETTER spark or fuel input.
If the injectors are maxed at their duty cycle then definitely go to a larger injector.
But correct me if I'm wrong the larger the injector the less efficient the atomization?(seriously is this right?)
As for the spark plugs your talking about going 1 step colder
But I don't see you needing to dissipate heat at what was it....350hp n/a?
don't get me wrong some people have run colder plugs while n/a but that was because they were equipped with n2o. And they didn't end up fouling their plugs. If you wanna give it a shot all the power to you. I just don't understand it as an upgrade while n/a.
you're not going to hurt anything as long as you tune for the injectors and worst case scenario you foul some plugs.
If your not putting the s/c on right now what's the rush?
Just because its a bigger injector does automatically mean it has to use more fuel. Its all in the tune. For example, you can shorten' the duty cycle. Duty cycle is the time a injector is open or close. Or take away some fuel pressure. Also, if your anywhere near maxing out stock injectors, your already going to be in the range of a 39lb injector anyway. He just would not want to jump up to 52's or 60's. Then, you would be correct in your assumption.

#24 ·
this is a good point hamish makes.. w/o more power a colder plug won't help.. and if you aren't having any issues with the plugs you now have then waiting till you up the power would be the thing to do.
Putting bigger injectors in doesn't give you more power because the computer regulates the amount of fuel no matter what the injector size... but you have to change the tune to change that value in the table. It is all about the air/fuel ratio.
LT might be able to tweak a few more ponies out of her but it would be best done on the dyno, just changing the injector size can be done by email if you have the cable for your handheld.

#26 ·
As far as I am aware, most S/C kits will come complete with the required injectors and in a lot of cases the required fuel pump mods, so it seems like a waste of money buying them now if everything is working just fine.

Same applies to plugs. The stock plugs are good for up to 8 psi of boost, so with your current set-up I see no reason to change them until boost (or malfunction) dictates otherwise. Just my 2c's :)

Andy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.