Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been reading one horror story after the next about spark plug replacement lately. Apparently our design is horrible at best. Our car has just shy of 48,000 miles on it. Do you guys recommend changing the plugs at this mileage? If so, is it for chance of them NEEDING replacement, or for preventative purposes to avoid possible breakage with even higher mileage down the road? It is an '06 which by what I've read is when 2 piece plugs were still being used. Thoughts?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kind of what I was thinking, just gonna be pissed if I break one off and it didn't even need replacing....

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts
Read the TSB. There are a million threads on here about it. You'll be fine if you take it slow and do it right.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't looking for a "how to". I've read the bulletin, as well as tons of posts about how to be careful and go slow. My question was simply to get the recommendations of the forum as to whether or not to change them now or leave them alone. I "thought" that was the purpose of this forum.

Thanks for your responses anyway.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wasn't looking for a "how to". I've read the bulletin, as well as tons of posts about how to be careful and go slow. My question was simply to get the recommendations of the forum as to whether or not to change them now or leave them alone. I "thought" that was the purpose of this forum.

Thanks for your responses anyway.
I get that alot also, hit the search, but Im in the same boat. Im at 32,000 and debating on changing them now to a 1-piece plug. Even though it doesn't need them, im looking ahead trying to avoid breakage.

·
Registered
318 Posts
The earlier you change them, the better. Do yourself and go to a 1 piece plug to avoid future problems. :yes

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you are going to change them, just be ready to use the kit (this is the one I used and it worked great! Amazon.com: Lisle (LIS65600) Broken Spark Plug Remover for Ford Triton 3 Valve Engines: Automotive )

I read the TSB and took my time (soaked and loosened over 4 days) and still two plugs didn't come out!

I was lucky enough to borrow this kit from Ford and talking to my friends that do this everyday, they say I was luck to get 6 out haha No matter how much you prep, or how slow you go, chances are good you will need the tool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Additional Information

Do it now rather than later. And coat the exposed part as instructed. A lil preventative now will save a heart ache later.

I picked my tool up from NAPA - SER 774021. Went with the Champion one piece replacemment plug. Found that Ford TSB good information and when I read the instructions with the extractor - the plan came into play.

ONE big point...in pushing the ceramic down DO NOT go all the way to the bottom with the tool. This will push the ceramic into the cathode and deform/break it. Not a good thing.

Keep a shop vac handy with appropriate nozzle and hose to vacuum out the pieces as you go...then into the head with the hose to suck the loose sh*** er.. stuff! :p

Follow the removal and soaking instructions and all is good...3 out of 8 broke and they came out with the tool like a greased pig in a tag match!

Of course don't plan on doing anything else for awhile till ur done.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
Do it now rather than later. And coat the exposed part as instructed. A lil preventative now will save a heart ache later.

I picked my tool up from NAPA - SER 774021. Went with the Champion one piece replacemment plug. Found that Ford TSB good information and when I read the instructions with the extractor - the plan came into play.

ONE big point...in pushing the ceramic down DO NOT go all the way to the bottom with the tool. This will push the ceramic into the cathode and deform/break it. Not a good thing.

Keep a shop vac handy with appropriate nozzle and hose to vacuum out the pieces as you go...then into the head with the hose to suck the loose sh*** er.. stuff! :p

Follow the removal and soaking instructions and all is good...3 out of 8 broke and they came out with the tool like a greased pig in a tag match!

Of course don't plan on doing anything else for awhile till ur done.
how about a welcome this is me and my car thread. of course your car is more important to us..............j/k........well not really

:pics

·
Registered
315 Posts
Yeah I been thinking about changing mine too. I have just over 41k on my 06 stang. I'll probably just buy the tool just for insurance.

·
You had one job!
9,138 Posts
Did mine at 45k soaked for 20 min in pb blaster and came out with none breaking. I did loosen them a 1/4 turn and let them soak more before trying to pull them all the way out. I went with champion so I don't have to worry about it in the future.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Did mine about a month ago. With 64K miles, original plugs. Broke one... I bought the Lisle tool... Came right out. PB Blaster FTW!!!!

[/IMG]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can this tool be rented as well? I can't see buying this tool for a onetime session, once the two piece plugs are out it won't be needed again...am I correct? By the way, I like all the suggestions here; there was more than enough information to make a decision from.

·
The Despised Vert
3,557 Posts
I guess this is the only good thing about going thru plugs as fast as I do... they aren't in long enough to get stuck... I think the problem is from low quality gas deposits.. not saying cheap is being bought on purpose just that the oil companies aren't exactly known for being honest

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Can this tool be rented as well? I can't see buying this tool for a onetime session, once the two piece plugs are out it won't be needed again...am I correct? By the way, I like all the suggestions here; there was more than enough information to make a decision from.
No I don't think anyone rents them. It used to be 4 times the price it currently is so we should all consider ourselves lucky that they sold enough of them for the price to drop significantly.

If you put a one piece plug back in it than you can't ever have an issue again. However, the Autolite plugs like the HT0s for the forced induction crowd are a great plug. So we all just use preventive maintenance and there are no issues. I pull my plugs every 5,000+/- miles, clean them up, check gap, and run them. They always come out like a dream without doing any special voodoo or witchcraft.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts