Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone i just got back havent had time to get on the internet lately and havent drove my car in two months. Well i went to drive to get breakfeast today and my front drivers side sparkplug blewout. on the same day i just got my housr packed up to go to kc kansas. so i cant fix it myself. i heard this is a pretty commen occurance in the 4.6 engines. does anyone know why it happens or is it a manafacture defeact from ford.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Common problem just fixed mine last week.... There's only like 4 threads in the head... And likewise on the sparkplug...they loosen up...and then blowout taking like 2 threads with it...did you hear what sounded like a exhaust leak before it blew out?

·
I Poop Entirely Way Too Much
8,720 Posts
Ford didnt use many thread and the tend to pull out. A timesert will fix you right up.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yea...DO NOT USE A HELI COIL.... I tried it..didn't work... So ethier time sert...or sparkplug thread saver from auto zone worked real nice for me... Your lucky yours blew out on front... My back one blew out... Just make sure when your tapping the hole after drilling it that you use plenty of grease or oil taking it out every two or three threads that you cut and re oil or grease and clean the tap or it can gull and leave you with screwed over threads...then your pretty much fooked

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I don't know if alavrez is saying the the spark plug thread repair kit sucked or the heli coil...but the only complaint I had on the plug repair kit is the tap had a 3/4 head and the 3/4 socket wouldn't fit in the sparkplug hole so ground the head down to 5/8's and left it a lil bigger going towards the bottom so I could wedge it in so it would stay in the socket...

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah it did sound like a exaust leak a lil bit before it blewout. i took it to a shop and they are pullin the head and fixing it. hope they do it right cause as soon as i get it back got to drive about 1700 miles.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Ford engineered it that way because the OEM plugs are only scheduled to be changed every 100,000 miles--probably once in the average life-cycle of a GT--and they were concerned about the plugs seizing in the head after the 8 years (12k/year averagew mileage) they would be in there.

That is why proper torquing on the plugs (11-13 lbft) is essential, not just something that's nice to do...

·
Registered
432 Posts
wow dude i just had that happen to me like 2 weeks ago in my 03 motor so i just went ahead and put the stroker in

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah if it happens again just going to have to get some new heads n cams they pulled the head and fixed it for 350 i thought it was going to be more took them longer to do but they had to get the right tap. now to see if it holds for at least to Kansas city

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Well I didn't have luck with it at all..not in the car...I couldn't get the tang to break and I had no idea how I was gonna get the tang out if I got it to break...and then to top it off... The heli coil didn't thread worth a fook

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I envy you....lol man mine was the 2nd to last plug on the passenger side and it fought me the whole time...and after I had a heli coil stuck in there I was just gonna pull the head and get some head work done...but after sitting for a month I was heartbroke seeing it sit there...so..ya... I finally got the heli coil out and everything went my way that day

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Na...like.... The one next to the last one...the one that's up under that thing that comes off the side of the fuel rail that is a real bitch that made me have to take the dang fuel rail off...yea it pissed me off lol had me hot...5 I believe...I'm still learning this 4.6.... I'm used to my old chevy 350.... I know that thing by heart... Firing order is memorized lol

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
the lightnings have sparkplug blowout problems up until like late 03, i didnt know the stangs did too, i thought they upgraded the heads, anyone know if 03/04 stangs also have 4 thread or 8 thread headS?

·
mm's nitrous mod
12,988 Posts
Na...like.... The one next to the last one...the one that's up under that thing that comes off the side of the fuel rail that is a real bitch that made me have to take the dang fuel rail off...yea it pissed me off lol had me hot...5 I believe...I'm still learning this 4.6.... I'm used to my old chevy 350.... I know that thing by heart... Firing order is memorized lol
that is the #3. fords firing order is 1-4 on right and 5-8 on left. the chevy's have odd and even sides.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
You had the fuel off and all that and finished in 15 minutes and had it running? If so.... I tip my hat to you good sir lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts