Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just found out that i busted both of the subs in my doors. does anyone have a couple of subs that will fit for sale or know where i can get a couple?

·
Banned
12,740 Posts
You have subs in your doors?

·
Registered
546 Posts
From what i have read you are better off finding replacements out of a junk car. The factory speakers run 6 ohms and most replacements are 4 ohms. This may mess with your amp and will sound bad because the replacement will be louder. Also, this may get better answers in the electronics section.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yup. I'm assuming you have the mach system or whatever it was called. If that's the case then the door is running a composite set up, with the speakers in up top being for mid-high end and the ones on the bottom being low end, thus giving you the thump that's making you think it's a woofer. Best bet is go to a junkyard and look for a car with the same system and rip em out and replace. Otherwise upgrading to new speakers will mean they have to bypass the amps that are in the car as stock. Which means you'd have to get a new deck, new amp, all new speakers, and new wiring for it to sound as good as it once did or better. Trust me, I'm 2gs in already because I didn't know this when i started. -.-

-poindexter-

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
i actually have some oe speakers sitting in my garage taht im not using...i took them out of the back but they are the same speakers all the way around...im pretty sure they work i took them out to put pioneers in pm me for info

·
Registered
549 Posts
i have 4 OEM speakers that u can have for $20 + shipping. they are all in working condition. you'll just have to rewire them as i had to cut the wires to install the new speakers.

·
Zip's Supervisor
13,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i have 4 OEM speakers that u can have for $20 + shipping. they are all in working condition. you'll just have to rewire them as i had to cut the wires to install the new speakers.
are they from the mach 460 system?

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
From what i have read you are better off finding replacements out of a junk car. The factory speakers run 6 ohms and most replacements are 4 ohms. This may mess with your amp and will sound bad because the replacement will be louder. Also, this may get better answers in the electronics section.
As long as the amp can run a 4ohm load, he should have no problems. Most amps are capable of running a 4ohm or even a 2ohm load.....REAL good amps can run a 1ohm or even 0ohm load. Check the amp for what it is capable of running.

Worst case scenario...you go with 4ohm and you get clipping and a little overheating of the amp since it has to work harder now.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
ideally you want the lowest resistance possible. I dunno if you know anything about wiring configurations but if you have two components rated at 4ohms and you run them in parallel they will get dropped to 2ohm. But if the amp cant handle that low of a load, its good practice to stay within what the amp can handle.

·
Registered
546 Posts
As long as the amp can run a 4ohm load, he should have no problems. Most amps are capable of running a 4ohm or even a 2ohm load.....REAL good amps can run a 1ohm or even 0ohm load. Check the amp for what it is capable of running.

Worst case scenario...you go with 4ohm and you get clipping and a little overheating of the amp since it has to work harder now.
What i was saying is that if he has one speaker at 4 and the rest at 6 its gonna sound like **** seeing as one speaker will be louder. Also, I don't know what the machs stock amp can run, but from what I read it may mess with the amp and they recommend an after market one. I do not know about mach system in particular, I just researched it for this purpose.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
What i was saying is that if he has one speaker at 4 and the rest at 6 its gonna sound like **** seeing as one speaker will be louder. Also, I don't know what the machs stock amp can run, but from what I read it may mess with the amp and they recommend an after market one. I do not know about mach system in particular, I just researched it for this purpose.
He said the speakers in his doors - thats plural meaning TWO. And its really easy to google search the specs of the mach amp so see if it can be dropped to 4 ohms. And like i said it wont mess up the amp.....at worst it will start to clip or overheat a little bit, since the amp is working harder. I havent researched anything since i have had ALOT of electrical engineering in college.

graystang, if you cant find out what the amp is capable of dropping down to, go to Visteon Aftermarket Operations featuring Underhood Parts, Climate, Mobile Electronics, and Law Enforcement Products

They are the company that does the mach 460/1000 stereo.

·
Registered
546 Posts
He said the speakers in his doors - thats plural meaning TWO. And its really easy to google search the specs of the mach amp so see if it can be dropped to 4 ohms. And like i said it wont mess up the amp.....at worst it will start to clip or overheat a little bit, since the amp is working harder. I havent researched anything since i have had ALOT of electrical engineering in college.
Okay well there are more than 2 speakers in his car correct? My opinion about the speakers sounding crappy since it will be louder still stands but I should have said 2 not one. I didn't google the specs of the amp, just found a similar question in a thread on another mustang forums. I retract what I say about the amp, my background is electrical but not electronics like amps, just repeating advice from another forum.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I have a 94 gt that I'm parting out that has the entire mach 460 setup excluding the headunit. Let me know if you are interested.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Okay well there are more than 2 speakers in his car correct? My opinion about the speakers sounding crappy since it will be louder still stands but I should have said 2 not one. I didn't google the specs of the amp, just found a similar question in a thread on another mustang forums. I retract what I say about the amp, my background is electrical but not electronics like amps, just repeating advice from another forum.
If the front speakers are slightly louder than the rear ones....you just adjust the speaker balance/fade until you are happy with the way it sounds.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts