Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arrrgh, I literally installed the clutch and drove the car 3 times, not even 100 miles...very upsetting....and no hard shifts at all. The TOB seperated front to back side...very weird, clutch pedal felt great and was adjusted nicely...very upsetting to say the least. I ordered the Ford Racing TOB, hopefully this will do better. I've done these before in my old T5 tranny's and never had an issue like this..beware of their TOB's, I am far from a rookie and this clutch pedal felt great. Can't wait to wrestle the Trans past the Long Tube's again...that was so much fun:eek:

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
This has happenened to me 2x already and is why I just toss out the aftermarket TOB and order a Ford Racing one at the same time.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I too ordered the Ford Racing unit...I sent a nice "nasty gram" to SPEC as well with the car on my lift taking a picture today of their TOB...I requested Labor costs from them as well, I will have my buddies shop make me a bill...hell I spent alot of time on this it's ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
good luck. Yeah those aftermarket TOB are really nothing better then paper weights:)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This has happenened to me 2x already
When u say this happened to You 2 times already...did they actually seperate? or just prematurely fail? I am just wondering really.
...And it's crazy...I took an old Spec III out that looked great but the TOB was seized!! (I bought car this way...) but just goes to show ya'

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
yeah i coulda told you that lol.

here's a funny story to make you feel better. i blew out my engine, long story short put in a used stocker. took about a week here and there working on it after work. fired it up the first time and made a squeeling sound. thought it was the TOB. called my friend matt to come over, pulled tranny out, replaced with a diff. TOB. fire it up and the sound was still coming out. i didn't have enough power steering fluid. now i know you're thinking what a moron, but sound only seemed to happen in correlation with using the clutch. which must have happened when i moved it around and was turning lol. matt was like 'WTF' man?

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
^ lol man that sucks.

yeah, **** spec. i will never buy from them again. my spec stage 1 failed and so did the TOB. it chattered badly and the tob squeaked the first time i moved the car. i tried driving it 500 miles and breaking it in but it only got worse. i went with the fidanza 2.1 and i haven't had a problem since, no squeaks, chatters and the pedal effort is about half of what the spec was.

SPEC = GARBAGE

·
Boost gets you laid
2,625 Posts
however, their customer service was good. i sent the clutch back and they sent me a brand new one with no questions asked. they probably saw that the pressure plate was bad and had about 15 hot spots on it. i at least was able to sell the new one they gave me and get part of my money back minus the cost of shipping and getting my flywheel surfaced again.

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
I had 5-10 Miles on my brand new Spec Stg 2 and the TOB Split in Two.

I said it once, and ill say it again. SPEC SUCKS!!!

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
on each one it was different. 1 seized up while the other just split.
As far as Clutches go I love Spec and as mentioned there customer service is on point. Never had a problem with the clutches or the pressure plate.

·
Registered
289 Posts
dang, i was thinking of ordering a spec stg 2 clutch with billit alum flywheel but it seems you guys are having trouble with them then

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
not the clutches and flywheels themselves just dont use the TOB, with my experience. Any aftermarket TOB dont use just get a Ford racing one.

·
November 08 ROTM
1,356 Posts
ive had the same problem. my SPEC TOB made it about a year, and then it went to making crazy noises so i ditched the whole clutch and went to RAM with no issues. ill never own a SPEC product again.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Late model restoration is "out of stock"....Got it at Summit Racing, in stock and cheaper :) but u gotta search by part #...it didn't come up in a "mustang TOB" search.

Well, I feel better hearing this is not unheard of, misery loves company I suppose :) And I agree...even the short time I drove the car....I honestly hated everything about it meaning: Heavy pedal, chattering due to puck design I believe too....If they offer me a new clutch I may sell the new one and go Fidanza or RAM...heard good things about both...but i am putting in the Ford Bearing for sure either way :) ANd BTW....I put in a Brand New Billet flywheel (steel)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Trans out....TOB in pieces, seems to be a cast POS where they lock it into the groove to mate it together...very thin and looks very cheaply made.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well...that one is for a V8 car, i doubt the shaft is the same thickness on a V6...I am assuming the V6 does not have a Tremec transmission but I really don't know. You would be better off calling a Ford dealer and finding out the part# on your TOB and asking if their is an upgraded model such as the Ford Racing version you found at summit for the Tremec trannys in the V8's.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts