Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 87 is obviously speed density and hasn't been converted to MAF yet, I plan on that when I do my actually build/restoration in about 2 years... For now I use the car as a fun daily driver (less than 10 miles a day) right now I have BBK cold air, BBK shorties, BBK offroad x, 255lph fuel pump and flowmaster cat back. I also was just given 3.55 gears that will be going in shortly...so my question is for those who have speed density knowledge... I have a little tax money left over and am looking to possabily throw a few go fast parts at her just for fun... Can SD handle H/c/I without a tune? And if i do That will I have a problem running larger injectors like 24lbers? Since everything will be changed later down the road and it's just a daily right now I'm basically combing craiglist and classified for good deals that would make Sence but just don't know what SD will tolerate without issues from just straight bolt ons

·
Run What You Brung
706 Posts
There are SD friendly cams out there. However the SD system does not learn like the maf system does, so to get full potential out of the mustang, you WILL need to tune it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are SD friendly cams out there. However the SD system does not learn like the maf system does, so to get full potential out of the mustang, you WILL need to tune it.
Thanks for your comment, I guess I know I'm pretty limited with the speed density system and like I said I know I would benifit greatly from converting to a maf set up and am going to do so with my build... Right now I'm not lookin for an optimal tuned out set up, just want to know some parts I can pick up used off craiglist, classified, or eBay that would help with my current set up without having to mess with anything, just Bolt up and go. Even open to NItrious and boost if it's an option just really don't know what I can go with

·
Registered
477 Posts
Speed density can handle most bolt ons up to 300 hp from what I understand. You could do heads, intakes, pulleys, etc. I have speed density and don't plan on changing it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
If you use the stock cam, you'll probably be OK with some mods.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I can't stand these pricks over at this forum but I learned a bunch on speed density at this topic linked below. Essentially speed density can be just as good if not better then maf if its done properly. Also you should not need to tune it until you start messing with the cam. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...at-advantage-disadvantages-over-mass-air.html

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

"Observations made by Ford Motor Company indicate that a 1987 speed density H.O. Mustang will out-accelerate an 1989-93 mass-airflow Mustang(with the slighlty revised 1989 camshaft) by .2 second in the quarter mile. A speed density car will also outrun comparable mass-airflow cars in top speed ability."

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
I found this on another forum

According to The Official Mustang 5.0 Technical Reference & Performance Handbook, the following cam specs came in the corresponding year Mustang:

85-88:Lift: .278 intake, .278 exhaust Duration: 266 intake 266 exhaust Overlap: 36 degrees, 9.04 factor Lobe Center: 115 intake, 115 exhaust

89-90:Lift: .278 intake, .278 exhaust Duration: 276 intake, 266 exhaust Overlap: 39 degrees, 19.51 factor Lobe Center: 116 intake, 115 exhaust

91-95:Lift: .278 intake, .278 exhaust Duration: 276 intake, 266 exhaust Overlap: 39 degrees, 19.51 factor Lobe Center: 116 intake, 115 exhaust

93-95 Cobra:Lift: .282 intake, .282 exhaust Duration: 270 intake, 270 exhaust Overlap: 33.5 degrees, 15.24 factor Lobe Center: 115 intake, 121.5 exhaust

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the looks and advice guys...looks like my best bet is to search and keep my eyes open for some heads, intake, throttle body, and some pulleys. When I round all that up I'll go ahead and delete all my smog crap. All that with my current mods should keep me satisfied till I can really take the plunge on my resto/build

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Why not just do the mass air swap, it's very cheap & easy to do?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why not just do the mass air swap, it's very cheap & easy to do?
Gonna wait for build then only have to mess with the maf once and wire new ecu in all at once and get it tuned, I know it's not that big of a deal, but I don't plan on doing enough to the car right now for it to be justified so just gonna wait till I'm really to build the whole car

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Sheriff Metal Face
5,579 Posts
I've owned 2 speed density cars. They are a bit quicker than the MAF cars. But once you get into really modding it there's almost no point unless you know someone or know how to tune SD which is a bit more complicated than MAF.

On my 88, I had gt40 heads and intake, 70mm tb, full exhaust, 14* timing, and 4.10 gears. It was an animal. Ran 13.5's all day on stock suspension, shitty all season tires, and 250k miles.

But if you plan on doing a cam, you gotta swap to MAF. SD just can't handle it. Or go with a Megasquirt SD setup and tune yourself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
477 Posts
I've owned 2 speed density cars. They are a bit quicker than the MAF cars. But once you get into really modding it there's almost no point unless you know someone or know how to tune SD which is a bit more complicated than MAF.

On my 88, I had gt40 heads and intake, 70mm tb, full exhaust, 14* timing, and 4.10 gears. It was an animal. Ran 13.5's all day on stock suspension, shitty all season tires, and 250k miles.

But if you plan on doing a cam, you gotta swap to MAF. SD just can't handle it. Or go with a Megasquirt SD setup and tune yourself.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Agree - as long as your not going cam you will be fine with SD. I have basicly the same set up as you mentioned only cobra intakes.

·
Run What You Brung
706 Posts
Some good info and some bad info in here.

OP, gt40 or gt40p heads with some work on the exhaust side, some 1.7 roller rockers, exhaust, 70mm tb and You won't be able to believe it's the same car.

You CAN swap cams with the SD set up, they ARE out there but the stock speed density cam w/the roller rockers will be fine with out spending TOO much money.

Also GEARS.... Get them in asap :D, they will make a TON of difference in how the car feels.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts