Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tearing the interior out of my 03 GT today and I came across this little box that says SpeedCal on it. (From Dallas Mustang) It has some wires coming out of it that I traced to where they are plugged into the transmission. What is it for and why do I have it?
I have read that speedometer calibrators are for when swapping gears, but I have stock 3.27's.
I pulled the tap off of a wire it was connected to to pull out the center console, and my speedometer didn't work. Did a new tap onto another wire and it works again.
I'm just wondering what it's doing in my car, does everyone else have one?

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
I randomly found one in my car the other day too...lol

The guy before me had gears put in the car and it's just how they calibrated the speedometer...as for you not having gears, I have no clue haha

·
Registered
508 Posts
id say the had aftermarket gears in and swapped back before selling it.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
if you have the calibrater you probably have gears. but if you want it off you have to de-pin the wires off the speed cal that plug into the trans and re-pin them into the wires that go into the speed calibrater. atleast that is how mine went in, they may have changed the way they install on later ones

·
Disturbin' The Peace
4,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats the thing that confuses me about this whole thing, I have stock gears.
I did the speed test @ 70 mph, and have done the spin the driveshaft test.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Unscrew the SpeedCal cover and take a look at the DIP switch settings. The speedCal takes the speed sensor input from the transmission and multiplies it accordingly to 'fool' your computer into thinking the speed is higher/lower to compensate for a gear ratio change from 3.27's.

You probably have 3.27 gears with the DIP switches set to 0010000000. The previous owner may have had a different gear ratio at one time. You can reverse the installation instructions to remove it, but its not hurting anything.

SPEEDCAL INSTRUCTIONS >> SpeedCal Instructions :: Mustang Parts & Accessories Superstore - 1800Mustang

1 - 6 of 6 Posts