Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So here is the scoop. about 5 years ago I bought a 95 Mustang GT Convertible with a blown AOD trans with the intent to swap it into a manual T56. well after many trials and errors I completed my task. I soon found out that the speedometer didn't work. So did some research and found out it was the gear that had cracked and gears no longer meshed. I bought what I thought was the correct tooth gear for my car. (don't remember what it was it was 5 years ago) and well it was wrong. My actual speed is faster then my displayed speed on the speedometer. Well at the time I was just starting college and didn't really have the money to fix it. now that I'm out of college working and have an income I would like to fix this issue. however I have no idea what the correct gear should be, if it has changed because of the auto to manual trans swap or i just got the wrong gear. So i've come here to see if anyone may have some insight to my little problem.

some added info for those think its cause i changed my rear end gears or tires.

Stock rear end. 3.08 i believe
wheels 245/45R17 Came with 225/55R16 but i believe the 17's are the same diameter just wider tire lower side profile

any help would be great

Thanks

·
Registered
89 Posts
what year is the t56 because in 94 it went to voltage speedo senser,dont know what they are called. but these have to be programed,if ist earlier than a 94 find the gear for that year

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I believe it was around 2005. however after looking up other threads with Speedometer problems with new rear ends someone recommended a web page with speedometer gears and I believe I found the answer I was looking for and this is what I found out.

90-98 Automatics and 90-95 T5 manuals use a 8 tooth drive gear. and required a 20 tooth speedo gear for a 3.08 ration. Well all Tremec manual trans have a 7 tooth drive gear and requires a 18 tooth speedo gear for a 3.08 ratio.

so I believe I will try this and hope it works.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,433 Posts
How many teeth are there on the speedo gear that you have now, and what's the % error of your speedo?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts