Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My speedometer is off about 15mph? to fast. When I think im going around 30mph it says 45mph. How do I fix it and how hard is it to do by myself? Is there a how-to-do website?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
you can get a tuner and adjust the speedo to your tire size

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Sounds like you have 4.10's which can be corrected with a tuner or speed cal. First find out what gears you actually have and then go from there. 3.73's put mine off by 10 mph and every ten miles I was adding an extra mile to the odometer. Easy way to check your gears is to jack the rear of the car and put it on jackstands. Then mark the driveshaft and one tire with a piece of tape or a marker that you can easily see. Then rotate the tire one revolution while watching the drive shaft. Count the drive shaft rotations. If it turns a little more than 4 times to the tires one, then you probably have 4.10's. If it turns a little less than 4 times, then you probably have 3.73's.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I didn't know the gears would throw it off. I have 3.73's. Where can I go to have somebody with a tuner or speed cal fix it. autozone?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
neverfastenough i never knew that you learn something new everday :)

you can go to your local performance shop to get either one or order it online

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
You can look at the speed cals American Muscle has. I would call them to make sure you get the right one. A dyno tuner can correct it, but of all the options that would be the most expensive. A handheld tuner from AM will do it, too, and they will put a tune in it for whatever mods you have at the time. Make sure you mention the gears.

Edit: When you add lower (higher in number) gears it makes the rear wheels turn slower per rpm's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts