Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm the same poster of is it the tranny or the ham thread.

New info- I went to a speed shop and told them of my shift problem at 1mph before a full stop or after I take my foot off the breaks to go. They had said that the ford v6 4w70r( I think thats it) tranny has some inherent problems. One of them is that the splines in the drive shaft lose it lubrication and when the tranny engages the drive shaft move up, down forward or backward??? Remember I'm not a mechanic so I'm going on memory. And because it is not lubed properly that is where the bang is coming from. It is a simple and easy job to drop or disengage the drive shaft to do the lube job.

Does this make sence to anyone.???

Thanks for the help. Remeber I may have gotten some of the wording mixed up from what I was told, I'm not a mechanic.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
makes a bit of sense but all drive shafts are free floating.. ( permit there is oil ) kinda like sticking a tube in some jell-o. what they told you was that the tube(drive shaft) did not have enough jell-o around it and its hitting the sides. this happens from oil degrading and losing its viscosity. could be your problem? are you an auto or manual? i'm assuming auto since i have yet to come across this problem in a manual.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
AUTOMATIC.

I was told this is not a big job. In fact a 30 minute on the lift and out the door type job. Is this true? And what type of grease do I put there. The guy at the speed shop said it was a brownish type lube but he could not remember the name. Or can I use any good quality auto grade type lube?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
transmission fluid is red mercon v... does the car shift or does it stall when trying to go at the 1 mph before stop? do the rpms fluctuate? im moving this to the correct forum for more detailed assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts