Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
I did my rear emblem if you do the right amount of prep work it should come out pretty good. Hard to mess up flat black, lol. Just take your time and be patient with it, and do A LOT of light coats.

Sandpaper, im not quite sure what to reccomend, but your going to want to start at the rougher side of like an 800 or so and work your way up to about 2k would be my guess. The emblem i was able to get away with just using 600, but its not nearly as hard to accomplish as a spoiler. GL!!!

·
It's in the details Mod!
11,051 Posts
You can just scuff it with scothbrite. Give it a good rub down (happy ending style), wipe it down to remove any oils, and then spray away.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
You can just scuff it with scothbrite. Give it a good rub down (happy ending style), wipe it down to remove any oils, and then spray away.
I was going to say the same thing. Take the spoiler off, wash it w/ dish soap, clay bar it to make sure it's clean, scotchbrite (which is between 1500-2000 grit if you want to know), clean, dry, and spray.

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Wash it off good with some dawn/joy/similar dish soap, scuff it with a grey scuff pad, clean it with wax and grease remover, then spray it.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
:withhomo

·
Cum On Me Bro
8,106 Posts
oh and as far as paint, i'd HIGHLY reccomend using Krylon fusion, its specially made for plastics.
I've used Krylon fusion on some interior pieces and it doesn't seem to hold up well enough to be used on the exterior of the car. My pieces are already showing bad wear after about 4 months

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
hey sorry for reviving an old thread but my problem is this, my stangs exterior is black and i live in el paso where it is hot as hell even with it clayed and waxed my spoiler started to oxidize so i want to remove it and put in those nylon plugs temporary since i already have the touch up paint until i can get it repainted professionally or do you think i can get away with sanding it down like stated above and painting it flat black this would be the only piece that would be that color or will it look shitty, also does any body have a termi spoiler for sale because if you do im really interested id rather just replace the stocker with the termi but i know ill will have to have the decklid holes filled which sucks

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Duplicolor. OOOOORRRRRRRR hang your spoiler on yer wall with some mardigras beads and some perdy pink flowers just to soften the mood.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
hey sorry for reviving an old thread but my problem is this, my stangs exterior is black and i live in el paso where it is hot as hell even with it clayed and waxed my spoiler started to oxidize so i want to remove it and put in those nylon plugs temporary since i already have the touch up paint until i can get it repainted professionally or do you think i can get away with sanding it down like stated above and painting it flat black this would be the only piece that would be that color or will it look shitty, also does any body have a termi spoiler for sale because if you do im really interested id rather just replace the stocker with the termi but i know ill will have to have the decklid holes filled which sucks
You could do it as stated above until you can get it repainted professionally.

Also, use sentences... wall of text is bad.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
Okay thanks guys sorry about the bad grammar. I know it is bad; and to think I have a BBA ha ha, I figured nobody would care on this forum but I guess I was wrong. What about your opinions on the spoiler being the only flat black piece on the body, shitty or not?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I say spend the money and get it painted the color of your car. to each his own though, not too particular on flat black pieces for wings.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
Okay thanks guys sorry about the bad grammar. I know it is bad; and to think I have a BBA ha ha, I figured nobody would care on this forum but I guess I was wrong. What about your opinions on the spoiler being the only flat black piece on the body, shitty or not?
I dont really care that much about the bad grammer, so dont get the wrong message. Its just really hard to read and understand when its one large never-ending sentence. So don't think I am bein a jerk sayin "Hey! Your an idiot cause you cant use punctuation!". Just tryin to help you get your point/question across.

Hi i have no idea about spoiler painting
:spank

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
I just got done doing mylilboostedpony's spoiler and scoop. I wet sanded them both with 800 griy and then sprayed them with PPG DX103 which is a multiprep that will stop static. After that I sprayed it with low gloss acrylic lacquer. Turned out great. ITs the same paint that is used on the hoods of boss 302s and early muscle cars. has a nice texture to it. I would take pics for you but they are wrapped up ready to be delivered this weekend.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts