Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
F*stocker
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Mustang's second ever autocross was with the Spokes group from Austin this past Sunday. D Prepared National Champion Drew came up with a tight, technical course with fast times in the low-50s in a lot that normally sees 40-ish second runs, and it turned out to be quite the workout in a Mustang with Hoosier A6s and stock suspension. Though the crash bolts definitely helped, at least my front tire wear is about the same as the rear now! Stepped the pressure up to 42psi warm and the edges still rolled a bit, and experimented as high as 44psi but the car seemed to handle best at 42psi all the way around. Maybe my best bet for Nationals is just to run 38psi and have them flipped from day 1 to day 2, or pull a Braun and have one set for each run :screwy:

Unfortunately, I overdrove in places I needed to back off and underdrove in places I could've carried more speed, hence my video is painful to watch and I PAXed 19th out of 72 drivers, a full 2 seconds off 1st :mad: Oh well, the last SASCA event of the year is next Sunday so I have one more chance before the new year to improve.

Here's a vid of my best raw time, a 54.92 +1. I had a clean 55.08 later in the afternoon but the GoPro's battery died and the spare was locked in my friend's Miata while he was working timing.

Some pics:

Proof that I'm not the only one who autoxes on paper plates:

The grid during my off heat. Working registration gives me the opportunity to walk around, take photos and coach novices in their grey V6 Mustangs:

Got to ride in that Boss LS - nice car!

My friend William in his V6 Camaro, I've driven it once on course and man is it big. Fun but big :p

Chris (#42 STR) is the fastest driver I know who doesn't have a Nationals trophy - yet:

·
Lurker
296 Posts
Course looked fun, really like that color on the car. One of these days I'll make the jump to r comps, looks like soooo much more grip than these little 265 RS3s. What dampers you planning on running, something simple like koni yellows or something higher end?

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
Course looked fun, really like that color on the car. One of these days I'll make the jump to r comps, looks like soooo much more grip than these little 265 RS3s. What dampers you planning on running, something simple like koni yellows or something higher end?
One of the two "new" F-stock guys is running custom valved Bilstein Adjustable units... I think that is Eschantra? I can't remember! :(

Eschantra, did you try slotting the struts to fix that cross camber issue you were having?

·
Lurker
296 Posts
Hmmmm, custom valved dampers would be nice. Makes me more anxious for some those coilovers I want with proper spring rates. Ive noticed part of my on throttle traction issues are likely from the rear getting hard into the bump stops when under power.

·
6,578 Posts
Hmmmm, custom valved dampers would be nice. Makes me more anxious for some those coilovers I want with proper spring rates. Ive noticed part of my on throttle traction issues are likely from the rear getting hard into the bump stops when under power.
Here I thought it was about running 412HP and 390lb*ft of torque through 265/40/18 RS3's! :screwy:

If you plan on jumping to R-Comps, do it soon so I can buy those wheels and tires off of you! :D

·
Lurker
296 Posts
Well all the HP isn't helping I'm sure but I think there's some help with getting more spring rate under it. Rcomps won't be happening for a few years, enjoying stx to much and can't afford purple crack tires at the rate they wear out.

·
F*stocker
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One of the two "new" F-stock guys is running custom valved Bilstein Adjustable units... I think that is Eschantra? I can't remember! :(

Eschantra, did you try slotting the struts to fix that cross camber issue you were having?
I'm planning on running custom Bilsteins, but haven't ordered them yet. The price Vorshlag estimated them to be means I may not be able to order them right away lol

No, have not gone back over the strut since installing the camber bolts, but I may just wait until I get the new struts before re-aligning the car :D

Conekiller, course was fun, but quite busy and a LOT of work. I was breathing hard after each run :p

My car puts power down very well with the stock suspension and R-comps. My street tires are the stock Pirellis but I'm not thrilled about their grip level, they feel like all seasons to me. My wife's F30 328i has Michelin PSS one size smaller (245/40-19) and is similar weight to the stang, but the grip is in another league. Someday I'd like to try the G2s as a track/street tire but will probably wait until the stock shoes wear out. I am a little worried about how fast the Purple Crack is wearing on the edges......at this rate I'll probably go through three sets a year and that's without a codriver. I used to be able to go 18 runs before having to flip on the Corvette......

·
6,578 Posts
I'm planning on running custom Bilsteins, but haven't ordered them yet. The price Vorshlag estimated them to be means I may not be able to order them right away lol

No, have not gone back over the strut since installing the camber bolts, but I may just wait until I get the new struts before re-aligning the car :D

Conekiller, course was fun, but quite busy and a LOT of work. I was breathing hard after each run :p

My car puts power down very well with the stock suspension and R-comps. My street tires are the stock Pirellis but I'm not thrilled about their grip level, they feel like all seasons to me. My wife's F30 328i has Michelin PSS one size smaller (245/40-19) and is similar weight to the stang, but the grip is in another league. Someday I'd like to try the G2s as a track/street tire but will probably wait until the stock shoes wear out. I am a little worried about how fast the Purple Crack is wearing on the edges......at this rate I'll probably go through three sets a year and that's without a codriver. I used to be able to go 18 runs before having to flip on the Corvette......
18 runs before requiring a flip?! :nuts

I'll keep my Star Specs, which even with a very minor -1.7º camber went a full season (some 65 runs between me and my co-driver) before needing a "flip" to expose the inner shoulders to some wear!

Remind me why again people like the Hoosier A6? :screwy:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts