Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I came across a built rear for my car that is local and seems to be a pretty good deal. the only thing im not sure of is it has a Strange lightweight spool in it. Those of you who have or had a spool on your street car, how was it? This is not my daily driver so I just want to know if the guys that have/had a spool in their street car, would you do it again or stay away from it. If you could explain why you are for or against it that would be helpful as well.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I would recommend staying away from a spool in street car.

My reason being, corners will be the problem. You will be pushing through the corners hard because both wheels are trying to spin at the same speed. You will be squealing one tire the time of the turn. Driving are strip car on the street is a pain, but can be done i have done it a couple of times. I would not want to get caught in the rain with a spool.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
I came across a built rear for my car that is local and seems to be a pretty good deal. the only thing im not sure of is it has a Strange lightweight spool in it. Those of you who have or had a spool on your street car, how was it? This is not my daily driver so I just want to know if the guys that have/had a spool in their street car, would you do it again or stay away from it. If you could explain why you are for or against it that would be helpful as well.
their not so bad with the right wheels/tires, but with the wheels/tires in your pic., you'll be sorry.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I know a lot of people who run spools on the street and none of them complain. I think its more a matter of persoanl prefference though. I like a limited slip on the street but may eventually end up with a spool because I also don't like breaking things at the track.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
With a spool and bias-ply slicks, turning on the street isn't too awfully terrible, as the tires give a bit. Even then, it's still pretty annoying. It really comes down to your definition of a "street car". Will it see 500 street miles a year, or 10,000?

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
It sucks plain and simple lol...and dont get caught in the rain on drs with it either lol...

·
Powered by LSx tears
21,466 Posts
I've had a spool in a car I drove on the street. You really have to change your mindset when it comes to driving, or you'll have problems. Rain is a no go for sure. A spool on the street can be done, but it's not very enjoyable.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't have those tires and wheels anymore. Right now I'm rocking the stock wheels and tires. The only reason I'm asking this is because I came across a built rear that seems to be a pretty good deal except it's got a locker in it. I guess I could change it if i don't like it. And it doesn't come out in the rain at all.

One of my problems is my stock rear. I had it rebuilt with the upgraded clutches but it's starting to slip and spin one tire sometimes and it's really annoying. I don't want to go back in there and waste money to rebuild the weak 28 spline setup

This is what I'm looking at. What do you guys think it's worth.

I have a stock length 8.8 out of my 2000 mustang for sale. Rear consists of 4.10s,31 spline moser axels with strange c-clip elimanators, strange light weight spool, all new bearings. stock disc brakes, sos braces, fully welded tubes, anti roll bar mounts,trw girdle, brand new brake pads. Rear is complete with fresh fluid. Looking to get 1200 for it and I would be willing to ship but buyer pays shipping. Thanks

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Not worth it imo, spools are cheap. That spool in there is 180 bucks, i would buy that rear end if it had a detroit tru trac in it for that price. I think that is way to high for a rear end with spool.
Build your own.
Gears 150 bucks
Bearing kit 75 bucks
Detroit Tru Trac 450 bucks
Diff cover 150 bucks
Moser axles 250 bucks

1075 bucks, and thats with a detroit tru trac you could easily knock of 200 bucks without a detroit tru trac and just a cobra one.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't know how to install gears and I would have to pay someone to weld the tubes as I can't do that either. Unless you do it with a mig but I'd be afraid of warping the tubes

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok thanks for all the input. would it make be a waste to go 33 or 35 spline? the reason i ask is was reading the description on Alloy 31 spline and it says there 35% stronger than stock which didnt seem all that much, but maybe im just thinking about it to much. I want to do it right the first time.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
ok thanks for all the input. would it make be a waste to go 33 or 35 spline? the reason i ask is was reading the description on Alloy 31 spline and it says there 35% stronger than stock which didnt seem all that much, but maybe im just thinking about it to much. I want to do it right the first time.
I believe that means that the metal itself is 35% stronger than the metal the stock axles are made from. That means that if you replaced your stock 28-spline axles with 28-spline Alloy USA axles, they would be 35% stronger.

The fact that it is 31-spline also makes the axle more durable. A 31-spline setup will be plenty strong for you unless you plan to make 700+ at some point.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
700 may happen some day. wheres a good place to get 33 or 35 spline parts? i never planned to put a supercharger on it but its supercharged now. I just dont want to spend the money once to do it then have to redo it 2 years down the road.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts