Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can do all 4 springs for $30 dollars or should I just wait and save my money for an eibach pro kit?

If you have any pictures or can find any 99-04 mustangs with spring clamps installed, please post them up. I want to see how much it will actually lower my car.

David

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Let me get this straight. You want clamps to limit the movement of your springs?

That would lower your car, make the ride rougher, and limit your car's ability to recover from bumps. Youd essentially go air born when the spring runs out of travel. Sounds like a really bad idea. But I might be confused on what you mean.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
yeah im kinda like ":wtf" but maybe im missing something.

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
when i bought my car the rear springs had clamps on them. when i had to get a out of province saftey they made me take them off. and i had lowering springs on the front... i don't know wtf deal was. don't cheap out just go buy some lowering springs you'll be happyier in the end.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Ok, I found some pictures so I know waht your talking about. Its just a clamp that you can use to either add dead spring by compressing some of your lower coils, or to simply compress them slightly so you don't have as tall a spring. This looks like a really bad idea. I can't help but thing that under a big bump or something rough, they might come off. They also look cheap and weak. The leave the softest part of the spring free, so your car will be low but just as soft as before, until a point. Then way harder.

Don't do it. Just get new springs.

·
Registered
6,139 Posts
spring clamps lol, that's a terrible idea. your springs will not travel enough, and one of them could fly off creating a dangerous situation with it ending up in your tire and one side being wayyy higher than the other. don't do that lol.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good guys, I decided not to do it shortly after I posted this sorry, I want the eibach pro kit now kinda, 1.5" in the front and 1.5" in the back, I kinda wanna do 2"'s all the way around though,

any suggestions on kits to look for or buy?

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
cut your stockers one coil all around.... like NJ said its free I am considering it until i can save some cash to get some H&R SS springs and new iso's.... but by cutting a single coil all around should get you to the 1-3/4 to 2 inch drop .....the reason i want to do this is because i cant stand the 4x4 look any longer.... I even was about to go challenge my little bro in his wrangler to 4 wheeling the other day haha jk

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cut your stockers one coil all around.... like NJ said its free I am considering it until i can save some cash to get some H&R SS springs and new iso's.... but by cutting a single coil all around should get you to the 1-3/4 to 2 inch drop .....the reason i want to do this is because i cant stand the 4x4 look any longer.... I even was about to go challenge my little bro in his wrangler to 4 wheeling the other day haha jk

I get what your saying though because 2 days ago I walked out to the garage, backed my car out to let it warm up, went back inside, came back out and was like **** that thing looks like my old truck damn it.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
i like it 330 it has a nice stance... hey can you check out the other thread about cutting the stockers.... and let me know about the question i asked about cutting them on the last page... i dont want to mess up this thread by posting it again

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm curious as to HOW you cut them, I'll use a grinder, but theres obviously a special way to cut the coils.

don't you cut directly below where the coil ends?

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
Haha, I have a set of pro-kit springs... Im never going to use them. Want em? No point removing the springs twice.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
I'm curious as to HOW you cut them, I'll use a grinder, but theres obviously a special way to cut the coils.

don't you cut directly below where the coil ends?
when i cut mine,i used some black tape to set the point,cut as straight as you can ,and cut the top not the bottom because they have to sit back in the groove on the front ones that is back as well.the spring will get hot also and watch ur fingers cause the grinder will slap back at you.and if you cut below where the coil end then thats 1 coil,

·
Banned
7,007 Posts
I asked this on the other spring cutting thread, but I'll ask it here too since no one answered it. I've always heard that after you cut it you're supposed to bend the spring so that it matches the way the other coil sat in it's "perch". If you don't do this then you have like 90% less spring actually contacting something, and that doesn't sound like a great thing to have going on. But how the hell are you supposed to bend a spring without heating it up?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Haha, I have a set of pro-kit springs... Im never going to use them. Want em? No point removing the springs twice.
Dick, you should pm me what you want for the springs, I have $100 dollars cash, I just sold a jacket and I'm debating on what to spend my 100 bucks on, I just about ordered my bigger throttle body and intake, but damn it I want lowering springs too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts