Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I want to cut my springs to lower my car. I was wondering a couple of things. First... has anyone had a bad experience with doing this? What bad things could come out of doing this? And how much did you cut off of your spring?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
dont know much about it but im sure that this will most likely kill your handling

·
Registered
990 Posts
pretty much everyone with the exception of a few people have told me this is a bad idea.i wouldnt do it, unless you have another set and are looking to try it, then go for it!

·
Registered
70 Posts
you really ought to just shell out the money for some lowering springs because if you just cut your springs, they won't have the same tension as lowering springs do so you'll bottom out alot more and could end up really messing something up

·
Safud: MM's Resident Hadji
5,242 Posts
Cut my springs to lower my car....No handling loss whatsoever. I did use CC plates because i think anytime you lower the car you should use them...

But then again...that was on the cobra and cobras have linear springs. If the v6's have progressive springs, then don't cut them :yes

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok... seems like everyone thinks its a bad idea... I will just save the money for some lowering springs... Next question:
If I buy lowering springs do I need to buy anything else or replace anything else? Can I just get away with the springs alone?

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
ok... seems like everyone thinks its a bad idea... I will just save the money for some lowering springs... Next question:
If I buy lowering springs do I need to buy anything else or replace anything else? Can I just get away with the springs alone?
depends on how low you go. when i got my prokit, i just got an alignment after and everything has been fine for a few years now.

·
Registered
990 Posts
is prokit the 2 in drop?

·
Registered
70 Posts
I dropped my 1995 gt almost two inches and didn't have to change or buy a bumpsteer kit or anything. It might just depend on the car

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
what springs would you recommend i go with since i have 18's? i do a lot of highway driving and highway 80 isnt in the best shape... i dont want to bottom out all the time

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
Im cutting my springs...my friends have cut there springs...no problems except for my friend Jason who cut too much...had to buy new stock springs for cheap and re-cut them...ill be doing about a coil to a coil and a half to get about an 1" to 1.25" drop...ill post pics when finished :yes

·
Registered
990 Posts
6er i want to see this when you are done. maybe ill cut mine til i get enough to buy some. who knows

·
Premium Member
14,581 Posts
cutting is just a bad idea. you may go your whole life without having a problem, but why chance it just to save a couple dollars. just save up and do it right.

i have the prokit and i have 18s. i wouldnt mind it being a little bit lower, but i have the same situation with rough roads and i dont bottom out with what i have.

·
Registered
990 Posts
yeah you are probably right johnson. ill just save the money up until i get the springs. where did you buy your springs from?

·
Registered
990 Posts
i wish we were just lower stock to begin with. like camaros. it just isnt fair!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts