Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't seem to get my rear bolt holding my rear LCA off. I've got two jackstands holding the subframe up and a jack on the rear differential holding it up ever so gently. I've also go another jack under the LCA with a little pressure on it. I still CANNOT get that one damn 18m bolt out though. I've even tried taking off the rotor and tried hammering on it but it's stuck. It will move, but only if it hit it harder than hell. How does this come out? and more importantly, if it comes out this hard, will I be able to get it back in???

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
PB Blaster + Air Gun

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Don't put a jack under the control arm. You just have to lower the rear until all the pressure is off the bolt. I can't remember if I had to remove the lower shock hardware or not. I know I did for the upper control arms.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Lefty, PB blaster and air gun. And if you dont have pb blaster, then any degreaser should work.

The nut came off fine, the bolt just turned and wouldnt come out. I had to hammer the **** out of it with a punch to get it through. Slid back in nice and easily though...... So, 2 hours into it, 1 down, three to go :-(

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
I just noticed you were doing springs. You don't need to disconnect the LCA to change springs. You just disconnect the lower shock hardware and lower the rear until the springs fall out. I couldn't figure out why you put a jack under the control arm. Both springs fall out togehter at one time.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
No, I am the one that took the short cut. The way you did it is the proper way, and especially if you are doing it alone. If I recall, I did end up disconnecting ther upper control arms to get the rear to drop enough to let the springs fall out, but I did get to do both at the same time. It did take an extra set of hands to position the springs while the rear was jacked back up. I think it took me about 45 minutes to do both the rear springs.

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
dam all i did on the back was take both shocks alose,and pop the old one out and then new one in,15mins at the most

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
dam all i did on the back was take both shocks alose,and pop the old one out and then new one in,15mins at the most
Me, too, but I guess I am old. It took me a little longer to jack the car, put the stands in and take the rear tires off than it took you. or I guess you didn't include that in your time like I did, lol.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
you don't even need to remove that bolt.

i have heard of it being done that way but its sure easier just to disconnect the shocks and let the axle down

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
well f-me, I did it the extra long way :mad: I just finished doing the other as well.

So I know everyone says it takes a while for the spring to 'sit' but what should it look like compared to the one I just took out? Granted these are only rears... not sure what the fronts look like yet.

1.5" lowering springs

Spring1 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Spring2 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Registered
5,610 Posts
uhhhmmm what kind of spring did you buy,because those look the same hegiht as the factory ones, and it will take a few weeks to settle

1 - 15 of 15 Posts